Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I'm back, got a new site with my Firehawk pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm back, got a new site with my Firehawk pics

Hey guys, some of you may remember me, most probably don't .

I had to take a hiatus away from my projects for a year or so while I dealt with some things, but now I'm finally getting back to work on my rebuild that I started over 2 years ago. I redid my website, www.fbodyaudio.com, to focus exclusively on my rebuild, and all of my past builds in this car.

Check it out, and let me know what you think, and if anyone has any questions on how or why I did things a certain way, I'm happy to answer and help.

Mike
Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet glad to see ya changed site around a bit
Old 12-17-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet dude. Glad to see yah around.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:13 AM
TECH Resident

Do you have build pics of the fiberglass cover u made to go over the amps and all that in the hatch?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
Do you have build pics of the fiberglass cover u made to go over the amps and all that in the hatch?
I assume you are talking about the '03 builds ?

I don't know if I have any pictures of this, but I'll have to doublecheck later. Basically, my process for this is as follows.

- make a fiberglass mold of the stock plastic trim pieces.

- then, use that mold to make fiberglass duplicates of those pieces and install them in the car.

- use wood, cardboard, dowel rods, hot glue, stretched fleece, etc .. to create the shape of what it is I want. In this case, I had a flat piece of wood with the window for the amps cut out, sitting over the amp rack. I had the fiberglass copies of my interior panels installed, but trimmed down to fit around the amp rack. Then stretched fleece from the fiberglass panels to the flat wood area, to make it all one piece, and fiberglass over the fleece. Add some more fiberglass to reinforce. Sometimes I'll create a skeleton of dowel rods to connect everything under the fleece to help it maintain shape. At this point, I'm just trying the create something in the shape I want, with enough strength to maintain it when I take it out of the car. Lot's of sanding and body filler then to get the final shape I want.

- once you have a piece that is shaped how you want it, I then make a fiberglass mold of it. Then, using that mold, make a fiberglass version of the new piece. That way, your part is all fiberglass, with no fleece, wood, or heavy filler build up. You may need to do some minor adjustment work and light filling and sanding, but overall, it's much better. My hatch piece weighed only about 8 lbs or so.

I will need to do a similar process to make new rear side panels in my car sometime in early Feb. I'll try and get more detailed step by step pics for everyone.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

ok. im trying to do "SOMTHING" LIKE THAT. I dont want the standard look that everyone has with the subs in the well at an angle. Somthing like this http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-you-guys.html
Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
ok. im trying to do "SOMTHING" LIKE THAT. I dont want the standard look that everyone has with the subs in the well at an angle. Somthing like this http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-you-guys.html
Well that's easy, there's no fiberglass involved in that hatch build, the amp rack and sub box are all built from mdf. Just lot's of measuring, straight cuts, and some router work for the windows.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Mike @ FbodyAudio
Hey guys, some of you may remember me, most probably don't .

I had to take a hiatus away from my projects for a year or so while I dealt with some things, but now I'm finally getting back to work on my rebuild that I started over 2 years ago. I redid my website, www.fbodyaudio.com, to focus exclusively on my rebuild, and all of my past builds in this car.

Check it out, and let me know what you think, and if anyone has any questions on how or why I did things a certain way, I'm happy to answer and help.

Mike
I think anybody thats done any research on custom f-body builds has seem the beautiful work you've done; glad to have you back!

I look forward to seeing the progress of you latest build!
Old 12-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That firehawk was nice.....you do really good work.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome back Mike!!!!!!! You were missed!!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

That build is just insane!!!!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

how about some build pics for the rear side panels? the ones in the back seat area
Old 12-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Restricted User

sorry, I just looked through all of my digital pics, and have nothing.

Most of my pictures were taken to satisfy competition requirements of showing what's behind the panels, and how things are installed, not really focusing on how things were made. But I will try and get more detailed progress pics as I work on the new stuff.