Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Can't get the Taillights out from my Trans AM.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get the Taillights out from my Trans AM.

Hello everyone, have a couple questions that hopefully some of you will be able to help. I'm replacing my taillights right now but can't get the actuall bulb out. It's the rear/right and furthest to the side of the car. I have the housing out but can't get the bulb out to replace. Also does anyone have this problem. I pull my windows down and when I put them back up, they die out in the middle. Have to wait a while so it seems as they are building up power to raise themup again. Just started happening about 3 months ago. Finally the Antenna won't go down. Haven't searched a thread for this so gonna check it out first. But my main concern is removing that freakin bulb out!! well thanks for any help in advanced as I'm out here in this cold trying to figure this out.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

(Bulb socket should just twist out of the taillight housing.)
The bulb itself, if you slightly push in & twist ccw about 1/8", it should come out. If not, it's probably corroded in place. Cut & splice a new socket into the wiring.

Window motors are simply getting weak. They overheat when going up & simply need to cool for a while & they work again. Simply replace the motor. Everyone does it sooner or later, ..., http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Buy a replacement motor from a sponsor, your local dealer, ..., the for sale forums, or even Ebay.

Lastly, ..., it appears your power antenna system is probably broken also. Buy a new assembly. Replace the whole unit. No repair available.

Sounds like someone has let everything just turn to crap on the car with no upkeep.
Next thing ya know your headlights will go up/down when you use the keyfob to lock/unlock. (Which is a sign that the gears are bad.)