Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Issues...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Monsoon Issues...?

I know there's all kinds of info on the Monsoon system, and i've read some of it..
But, here's the deal.

My stock speakers have hardly any bass at all.. My front ones need to be replaced, they rattle, and they just downright suck. I've got replacements, just haven't installed them yet.

The rest of the speakers sound fine, as in they don't rattle or anything... But even still, the sail panel subs have hardly any bass at all. They have FAR less than my friends '00 and my other friends '99. I've checked the wiring to the sub, taken a look at the amp (and it at least looked normal), but not the HU. Anyone have any suggestions on whats up? I even hooked up another pair of subs, and they still sound similar..
Old 12-20-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

basically, I think i'm having the same issue that's in this thread.. too bad it never got an answer, lol.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...l-no-bass.html
Edit:
The only thing i can figure so far is that it could either be a faulty ground, power wire, or fuse thats hidden somewhere. It seems to me like the amp isn't doing its job of powering the subs.... As for everything else, no clue really..

2nd EDIT:
Checked out a diagram for the plug on the amp, checked both grounds and both power wires. Even opened up the amp just to see if there was anything obviously wrong, which there wasn't.
There is some bass, just not what I've seen in other f-body monsoon systems...

Anyone??

Last edited by bill12690; 12-20-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Tried another amp today.... same problem. Tried my amp in another car and it was fine.. Nobody has any ideas?

Basically it sounds like the amp isn't powering the speakers, but i know the amp works.. So, could it maybe be that the amp isn't turning on for some reason? Or would the speakers not play at all if the amp was off?

Last edited by bill12690; 12-23-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Banned

I've been thinking about this for a little while to see if I could come up with something and the only thing I can think of is possibly the head unit. Is it still stock or aftermarket? The reason I think this is that the stock amp is fed it's signal from the HU and if the signal from the HU is bad or faulty then your amp is not to blame (obviously). It can only amplify what it is given.
If you can swap out units for a known unit that works I'd try that as well if you haven't already.
Since you've ruled out the amp I think either the HU is having an issue or their is a problem between signal from the HU to the amp possibly. This is my best guess at the moment with the info I have.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, thats what i was thinking too.. That's what I'm going to try next..
I should be able to use another AC Delco (non-monsoon) from a 99 Silverado right? I know the Monsoon FAQ says they're all the same...
Thanks for the reply man..
Old 12-24-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

tried another HU today, one from a 99 Z71. Still no luck. It worked exactly the same as it does with the HU i have now..
Tried the amp, speakers, and HU so far... still no luck. The one thing that gets me is while it isn't what i would call a "common" problem, it isn't exactly uncommon either.