Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is my DRL module bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my DRL module bad?

Alright, my 99 T/A has a problem with the front turn signals and front hazard flashers. Rear turn signals work, rear hazard flashers work, parking lights turn all bulbs on as they should. However, the DRL's are not lit up when the car is running, and the front turn signals do not flash. I have checked all the related fuses, flasher relay (still flashes green on the dash as it should), etc and everything is fine. I pulled the DRL module out and tested the wires coming in, verifying with a test light that they flash with the right and left turn signal. My question is, which wires do I test coming out of the DRL box?
Or can I assume since the turn signal bulbs light up with the parking lights switched to on, that it is in fact the DRL module?

This is an expensive part btw... $258 wholesale! ouch...
Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Good job of diagnostics so far! All you need to check is the output corresponding to the turn signal input at the DRL module to confirm if it is the problem (although it seems likely from what you've said).

The turn signal input comes into the module on the light blue with white (left) and dark blue with white (right) wires. The output is the corresponding solid color light blue and dark blue wires. If you have flashing power on the input but not on the output then the module is the problem.

If the module is the problem and you don't care about DRLs, you can connect the input and output wires together so at least your turn signals work.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check your check your turn signal sockets? I had the same issue and replaced the sockets.....that fixed the problem.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Exclamation

i have a drl module if you need one...ill take 25 shipped to your door ups. pm me if you are interested..
Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Good job of diagnostics so far! All you need to check is the output corresponding to the turn signal input at the DRL module to confirm if it is the problem (although it seems likely from what you've said).

The turn signal input comes into the module on the light blue with white (left) and dark blue with white (right) wires. The output is the corresponding solid color light blue and dark blue wires. If you have flashing power on the input but not on the output then the module is the problem.

If the module is the problem and you don't care about DRLs, you can connect the input and output wires together so at least your turn signals work.
Thanks, was hoping you would chime in--I saw one of your posts in a similar thread I found while searching.

I'll give that a try and confirm that it's the module.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
Did you check your check your turn signal sockets? I had the same issue and replaced the sockets.....that fixed the problem.
LOL, yeah, been thru some of those as well. They are pretty new. FWIW, when my sockets were bad the bulbs would not light at all (parking lights on). As it is right now, the bulbs will illuminate with the parking light switch so the socket is fine.

Quick Reply: Is my DRL module bad?