Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

what wheel/tire setup for track

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what wheel/tire setup for track

My 99 formulas been geeting more and more power and mods. I haven't taken it to the track since it was a cai/cat back only car.

When I get it back from the engine builder it will have over 400rwhp and I dont know how much tire or what wheel to use. I have nice wheels and tires to drive around on and anything else would be swapped for that visit to the track only.

Can I get away with a cheap 16x8 salad shooter and drag radial combo. Or should I get like a summit star 15x10 and slicks and grind my calipers.

The car is stalled and has all of the suspension done and I don't want things to get hairy going down the 1/4. So give me your feed back, suggestions, and opinions thanks in advance.

PS I'm not going to have much $$$ when its done either so anything on the cheaper side would help more.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go with a billet spec. 15x10 w/7.5 bs and front 15x3.5 they clear your calipers with very min grinding if any....and then a m/t dr's but thats me , you can get away with some 255/50/16 m/t drs on some 16's just to get by.
the summits would be the cheapest way to go
Old 12-22-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ndfrsd6
i would go with a billet spec. 15x10 w/7.5 bs and front 15x3.5 they clear your calipers with very min grinding if any....and then a m/t dr's but thats me , you can get away with some 255/50/16 m/t drs on some 16's just to get by.
the summits would be the cheapest way to go
I would love to get a set of billet specialty wheels and matching tires. That would be the ideal way I agree. But the $$$ isnt going to be there and I'm not going to be at the track much anyways. I was really wanting to know if I could get away a 16x8 factory salad shooter and a 16 drag radial or get a 15x10 summit star wheel and start grinding. I just want to be safe and if I need to invest a lot to go down the 1/4 safely I'll just stay home until I get things done right!
Old 12-23-2008, 05:23 AM
On The Tree

In your position I would just buy a set of m/t drag radials and put them on your salad shooters that will easily hold your power with the proper burnout there is cars that run 8's on a 8" slick