Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to the LS world....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the LS world....

I never thought I'd even think about doing this swap but I may have fallen into a good deal. I have a 454/400 combo that I was about to sell when a member of another board contacted me with a trade.

He has a 5.3/4L60E combo out of a '99 Tahoe that he wants to swap for my BB.
Since I am about to swap another buddy a deck for his 600 hp 396 powered '67 stepside, I no longer need the BB in my shed.

The 5.3 has all the accessories on it and the computer and wiring are intact as is the 700r4 tranny. All I need to do now is find out what it's going to take to get this combo into my 70 driver. It has a 350/350 in it now [both original but modified].

The thought of swapping in a computer controlled motor never enterwed my head until gas hit $4 and since that cost will return someday, getting 20+ mpg and 300 hp doesn't irk me a bit. Only problem is I 'know nothing' [insert Col. Klink joke here] about getting this done other than it will require new motor mounts, a computer redo and a wiring genius to help out.

So, I am here to ask a ton of questions and learn as much as I can before the motor gets here in late January. I also need to find out how long this swap will take so I know when I can actually get it done.

So....first round of questions must start with the obvious....has anyone here done a similar swap? If so...do you have a list of what you had to do handy?

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 12-23-2008 at 03:41 PM.