Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil Pan/Oil flow route question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan/Oil flow route question

OK guys, have a question about the direction of oil and how it flows through the motor. Mu block is at the mchine shop, and I just got a oil pan (98-02 FBody) the other day and was cleaning it up and was looking at the fitting/plate next to the filter screw on. It has what appears to be an in/out holes on topside of the pan rail. When you take the 2 bolts off the plate and remove it, it is just a passage for the oil to go from 1 hole to the next. Also, on top of this plate, there is a part of it that sticks up, with a hole, that does not go all the way through. What is that for? And more specifically, does anyone have a routing of oil circulation on our blocks (6.0 truck if it matters). Also, inside the pan rail itslef, those 2 holes, have casting flash. Should I debur it, smooth the transition?

Thanks guys
Old 12-26-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gen414
OK guys, have a question about the direction of oil and how it flows through the motor. Mu block is at the mchine shop, and I just got a oil pan (98-02 FBody) the other day and was cleaning it up and was looking at the fitting/plate next to the filter screw on. It has what appears to be an in/out holes on topside of the pan rail. When you take the 2 bolts off the plate and remove it, it is just a passage for the oil to go from 1 hole to the next. Also, on top of this plate, there is a part of it that sticks up, with a hole, that does not go all the way through. What is that for? And more specifically, does anyone have a routing of oil circulation on our blocks (6.0 truck if it matters). Also, inside the pan rail itslef, those 2 holes, have casting flash. Should I debur it, smooth the transition?

Thanks guys
The block off plate is for the oil cooler used on the trucks it block in the cars and non-tow package trucks.

In some application there are is a sensor there. Might be oil temp in the y-body.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:23 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bo185
The block off plate is for the oil cooler used on the trucks it block in the cars and non-tow package trucks.

In some application there are is a sensor there. Might be oil temp in the y-body.

Ah ha! Cool, thanks! Yeah, this is my first go round with LS stuff. Coming over from the Ford camp, and still getting familiar with this LS family, thanks!

Now, does anybody have the oil path/circulation route of oil? Does it feed mains first? Thanks
Old 12-27-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 12-27-2008, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06

Aw man, PERFECT!!!

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Oil Pan/Oil flow route question