Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Basic S/C setup q's???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic S/C setup q's???

hey i know these q's are probably covered in other threads, but i just wanted to make sure i'm headed in the right direction. i'm new to any type of boost, so...

i'm looking to build an ls1-procharger setup in a g-body. from what i can gather i 'm thinking of getting a salvaged ls-1. so my first question is what is the best candidate? year? donor vehicle? i'm planning on getting some forged, and dished pistons, and possible some upgraded rods. a cam to work with the boost, some stronger valve springs, and some light head work just to remove hot spots. i'll get the necessary fuel pump and injectors to match the setup. from what i can tell i should be able to meet my goals with 8psi of boost, assuming 20hp/psi. my goal is a reliable 500 crank hp, for a street driven car. i know i left out some specifics, so be gentle please.

any reccomendations on the supercharger brand?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

if you stay real basic you can go with a p1sc. at 8psi or more definetly a d1sc. if your keeping the stock block, id add a set of lq4 heads to get the compression in the right neighborhood. ideally you would want to look for an 01 or up ls motor.

Last edited by jomomma; 12-30-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:42 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 81cuttysupreme
hey i know these q's are probably covered in other threads, but i just wanted to make sure i'm headed in the right direction. i'm new to any type of boost, so...

i'm looking to build an ls1-procharger setup in a g-body. from what i can gather i 'm thinking of getting a salvaged ls-1. so my first question is what is the best candidate? year? donor vehicle? i'm planning on getting some forged, and dished pistons, and possible some upgraded rods. a cam to work with the boost, some stronger valve springs, and some light head work just to remove hot spots. i'll get the necessary fuel pump and injectors to match the setup. from what i can tell i should be able to meet my goals with 8psi of boost, assuming 20hp/psi. my goal is a reliable 500 crank hp, for a street driven car. i know i left out some specifics, so be gentle please.

any reccomendations on the supercharger brand?
Look for a '99 up LS1 that is complete with the computer and wiring harness.
The '98 uses perimeter bolt valve covers where the '99 up use centerbolt, and the '99-up computer is far superior to the '98.
Even better would be an '05-'06 LS2, which has more cubes, uses the LS6 heads, and has a larger throttle body.
With 8 psi of ProCharger boost you can make 500 rwhp with any of the above engines without modifying the engine internals.
Check out this 2005 GTO that we installed an ATI ProCharger D-1SC. There are 1/4 mile timeslips at this list as well for this GTO.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=46
The ProCharger GTO system would be the one I would probably start with for the G Body. Take a look to see if you have adequate clearance for the inlet tubing.
We started with the GTO system for these cars as well.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=22
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=29

Complete ProCharger D-1SC EPP system price.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=837 Bob
Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the input fellas. after doing a little more reading i'm trying to put a plan together. i'm leaning towards an LS-1 based solely on price. it seems i can find a used motor and A4 for about $3000-3500. this is a middle to high mileage, which is alright since i'll do a rebuild anyways. however. i'm wondering if instead of changing the pistons, if i shouldnt just get a set of livernois stage 2 LS-2 heads. i'm assuming they will flow better and drop the compression. can anyone tell me how much they will drop the compression? how about chamber sizes? if these will in fact drop the compression would i be safe to run 8-9psi of boost on a rebuilt but stock engine? and i'm assuming this would be in the range of a D1SC? so of course my next question is if this is too much boost/power output for a rebuilt, but stock bottom end? if the longevity of the engine is in question, what would be the most likely parts to fail? would it be any insurance to put in forged pistons? upgraded rods? alright last question.........any cam reccomendations?

lot of q's, i know, but i really appreciate the insight.

Last edited by 81cuttysupreme; 01-01-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock bottom end is usually good to 8lbs or 550rwhp. Once you get past that then doing the forged pistons, rods, ect are recommended. Reducing compression will always help when boosting a motor.

If you do end up doing a forged bottom end then I'd up the boost and aim for power levels around the 650rwhp range.