Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

axel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question axel bearing replacement

i know how to slide the axel out. how do i get the axel bearings out? do i grease them before reinstalling them? any tip will be helpful!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Launching!

I believe the bearing is held in place by the axle/ seal and it should just come out
once the axle is out of the way. When you remove the c-clips and calipers it should just fall apart. You dont have to pack them, they use the rear end oil.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigZee71
I believe the bearing is held in place by the axle/ seal and it should just come out
once the axle is out of the way. When you remove the c-clips and calipers it should just fall apart. You dont have to pack them, they use the rear end oil.
Not exactly that easy you will need to remove the bearings with a slide hammer, and save the old races to use to beat the new bearings in. put light grease on them for new instalation
Old 01-01-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Atver300
Not exactly that easy you will need to remove the bearings with a slide hammer, and save the old races to use to beat the new bearings in. put light grease on them for new instalation
Agreed! That grease is important as there won't be any diff fluid out there for a while after they get replaced... Put some on the seal and the backside of the seal to cover up the spring - keep the spring from coming off when you put the new seal in.

If you have the diff out, you can use a long drift or ? and beat it out from the other side a lot easier. Sometimes the slide hammer will get them cawked sideways and make them more difficult to get out. Sometimes a little nudge in will break them loose and allow you to pull them out easier.