Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

update on my seat upholstery project. i got the upper drivers seat cover off

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default update on my seat upholstery project. i got the upper drivers seat cover off

i hit a major milestone this afternoon.. the upper drivers seat upholstery is off and the new pad which i got today is sittingi n place (well kind of, it needs adjusted and hogringed down) in place of the old one on the seat frame. just as i suspected the old pad under the bolster was shot, but the good news is the air bag under the bolster is fine. I had to go buy a $15 set of snippers to remove the hog rings and i wasn't sure if they'd be strong enough but they worked.

there are 4 or 5 hog rings on the back of the seat holding upholstery together, and then after you remove those, there are 3 or 4 on each side in the vertical indented area near the middle of the seat (where the leather becomes perforated), after you remove those you pull up the seat cover and there are 5 or 6 across on the horizontal area where again the leather changes from perforated to non perforated. once you remove all those, you flip the seat over and on the back there are 2 wire clips holding the headrest in, once you remove those, you squeeze the plastic pieces and that allows you to pull the headrest out. after you do that you squeeze the plastic pieces again and pull them out from the top of the seat and this is the last thing holding the seat cover to the frame.

once that was done i had to undo 6 or 8 hogrings to remove the old foam from the frame. this is not required if you aren't replacing the foam or moving it to the other seat. since i knew my foam was shot and it was only $37, i decided to get new foam and leave the passenger side foam in place (when i go to do that seat)

and finally, the new pad sitting on the frame

now i just gotta figure out the lower seat which seems like its gonna be a pain because it doesnt look very easy to get those clips undone
Old 01-08-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

i decided to strip one of the lower back seat portions because i thought they'd be easy... unfortunately they were glued on and some of the foam came up with the cover although i don't think its enough to effect the appearance of the seat or even feeling it once the new cover is on. the other pics are of what i started with, only with the other seat because i forgot to take pics before i started it.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get the replacement foam? GM dealer?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1Zedder
Where did you get the replacement foam? GM dealer?

gmpatsdirect.com, it was $37.xx shipped for the drivers side.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

the drivers seat is now naked

i undid all the clips under the seat (one on each of the sides, one at the back, and 4 at the front for the leg adjuster thing) it was a bitch, but i used 2 small screwdrivers and was able to pry up the ends of the plastic clips and get them apart one by one and then work the back of the cover off. once i did that i had to get the seat cushion off the velcro and then it slipped right off. not a single hog ring on the bottom

i've heard the replacement covers might not come with velcro but i hope they are soft and attract to the old velco (actually there was no velcro on the cover that i could tell, just that it was very soft and attracted to the hard velcro on the cushion. ifi have to i'ii find some velcro to use on the new covers with whats still there.

anyway, here's some more pics.

i found a couple pics of some 3rd gen GTA's that have the same upholstery kit i'm getting but they didn't get the side pieces swapped over... i dont think it looks as good without them, what do you guys think?

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 01-09-2009 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: update on my seat upholstery project. i got the upper drivers seat cover off