Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dam 4l80e 4th clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default dam 4l80e 4th clutch

yea, im still at this thing-thought i would wrap it up today, bought the 3 piece tool for the 4th clutch lip seal install ahead of time, its not the Kent Moore one, but was 1/2(right!) the cost, made of steel-well, the dam thing isnt tight enough on the piston, so when i try and push the piston in, the lip seal still "catches" on the outer shell
after 3 hours of fighting with it, finally cutting the seal, i give up, gonna return this thing and spend the money on the real thing-they wont have it untill 1-27, so i hope i can find one at a dealer or some place and slip someone a few bucks to put it together
i had hoped i would have the trans in this weekend, so i could meas for my driveshaft-i'll just drink beer and watch football till Monday, lol
and hope i can find another lip seal
Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

I use the metal Trans-Tech tool and it works great.

You should be able to buy individual seals.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:33 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a metal one as well that sometimes it gives me some trouble. I have found that if you make sure to use a seal lubricant stick (door-ease) on both the surface of the seal and also the surface where the seal rides, it works better. Also a little trick I learned years ago is to take your parts with the installers on them, toss them in the freezer! That's right the freezer. I do not do this on all parts but in some cases it helps make the seals a bit harder so to speak and you can actually install them easier. If you take the lip of the seal and roll it in the direction you need it to be this will help. Just a thought. Vince
Old 01-10-2009, 04:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the kent moore tool and I also have to fight it sometimes. I use the freezer method and it works. LubeGuard came out with a spray that freezes the lip seals and makes it easier to install.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i was playing with it today, since the seals cut anyway, and tried a piece of stiff plastic(it was a tearoff from my glass bead cab window) and was able to work it around the inner seal, with assemb. grease, and along with the outter seal tool it popped right in (i had bought the outter seal Kent Moore tool off ebay awhile back, $15)
it just seemed like the metal tool just didnt compress the seal enough to fit in
im gonna buy a few extra seals Monday
Old 01-10-2009, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The freezer is a tranny guys best friend!!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:34 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
tried a piece of stiff plastic(it was a tearoff from my glass bead cab window)
Funny I have some of that in my box. I have found many uses other than using it for blasting. Seal installations being one of them.

Originally Posted by 382ssz28
The freezer is a tranny guys best friend!!
And also a microwave!

Quick Reply: dam 4l80e 4th clutch