LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 cam

im thinking about puting a cam in my lt1 and i would like to use a cam that i dont have to change the converter and keep the stock valve springs. does anyone know of any cams i could use.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

There are a few you can use and keep the stock convertor. There 0 that you can use and keep the stock springs. If you put in a cam even the hot cam you'll have to change the springs.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The cam, converter, and rear gear all have to work together...And you should always change valve springs to match the cam. That being said, with your set parameters, I would not do a cam swap.

--Alan
Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 PM

dude i think that you should put a pollutor cam. dont need to change anything, gives you a **** load of power and you will also get that load *** lope sound, for at least the start up... cause if you try to drive you will **** your car up bad, but i agree with the man above me, if those are your parameters dont do a cam swap just yet, wait a while until you can change eveything.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1994TAguy18
im thinking about puting a cam in my lt1 and i would like to use a cam that i dont have to change the converter and keep the stock valve springs. does anyone know of any cams i could use.
I've got a brand new Erson that I bought on the recommendation of my Machinist... It's hotter than the stock LT-4 cam; Erson grinds it for those LT-1 drivers that do not want to reprogram the PCM, re-stall, etc.. and they did not spec a spring change...

I took it out of the box and placed it in the block and decided to go with the larger Comp cam, springs and PCM co, 2 days later; it's never had so much as a timing chain wrapped around it.

Let me know if you're interested; it sound like it's a perfect fit for your desires.

Also... let the record reflect that the driver has stated his desire and while it's not the way I'd go... he's entitled to his own set-up.

However... with that said... I will say that if you've serious mileage on your Z, it's not a good idea to change the internals without a rebuild. As it stands, you're going to have to pull the front end down, so ask yourself, does it make sense to put a new cam on an old timing chain? Especially considering that you've got to go right past that to get to the cam... new gaskets... you're pulling the water pump and that's gonna spill coolant all over the old opti and that's never good, so ya might as well change that; Lifters have to come off to pull the push rods... and a nice set of 1.6 rollers aren't going to take a second longer to put on than the old stamped 1.5 stockers... SO... might as well...

So, let me know if you want that new Erson unit...

Last edited by OVA1; 01-10-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the Erson part would do the trick. Just be aware, you are putting a new part in with a lot of old parts. A couple of things usually happen when you do this:
You don't get the full performance you were seeking due to existing weaknesses in the drivetrain.
You shorten the lifetime of the drivetrain due to the increased stress.
The new part usually has to be replaced again when you finally buckle down and do a complete rebuild.

Best of luck, and I hope it works out well for you. Really. And talk OVA1 down on his price, he's not using the cam anyway
Just kidding, OVA1, best of luck to both of you.