Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Decided to paint my fender grills

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Decided to paint my fender grills

Well tonight I decided to match up my overlays and paint my fender grills yellow like my overlays. This should match up pretty good but I haven't seen many people painting these so I hope they turn out well. I will keep you up to date on the progress.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Decided to paint my fender grills

A guy with a WS6 TA in my hometown did this and it turned out real bad. The yellow didn't really seem to cover the black too well and it juts plain looked awful. I hope it turns out better for you and I would like to see the end results.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the guy in your hometown probably is stupid and didn't clean the inserts and use primer before paint. I did mine in a chrome spray paint to match up on my black ta and i get lots of compliments on them. I also have the front bird overlay and the trans am overlays in metalic silver to match
Old 10-03-2003, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

hey 98 TA im trying to get mine to look really good at this point. I got 3 coats on them and I also used a primer. However it still has some black showing through. Can anyone recommend something to strip paint of from plastic peices like that. Im thinking of striping all the yellow off from them and redoing them later this week. They look decent right now put they are hard to paint in between the honey combs and stuff. Maybe I should forget the whole yellow theme on my black car and go with silver instead.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what kind of paint are you using? Sounds like your painting them by hand. Let them soak in some paint thinner until all the paint comes off you may need to use a tooth brush. After that wash them with warm water and a little hand soap, let them dry.

Go to walmart and buy a spray can of Dupli color:
~flat grey primer sealer
~yellow colored spray paint (on label it says "ideal for trim and accessory pieces in smal print.

Apply coats of primer to the pieces allowing them to dry fully until you can't see anymore black TAKE YOUR TIME

Wait 12 hours or longer until fully dry and begin applying coats of the yellow dupli color spray paint. Once again let each coat dry before applying the next coat.

If you do all of this they will look great, like they came from the factory that way and will last for a long time
Old 10-04-2003, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say forget the yellow theme
they look corny with an all black car, with a couple yellow things here and there
Old 10-04-2003, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have silver on my black, i don't think 98formula's car is black. correct me if i'm wrong
Old 10-06-2003, 08:05 AM
TECH Regular

Well Im almost done painting them I decided to go a little on the cheapish side for now and go with a silver theme later. I put my Yellow overlays on the door and the nosebird. And it looked a little out of place so I decided to do this. I have pics of the overlays and stuff and I will get some with the grills painted when I get home. My 98 Formula The next step is getting my TA hatch put on and then its on to the exhaust and cam.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine are a gunmetal with LOTS Of metallic .. they're still dark color but .. it adds just a slight touch of sparkle in sun .. and it looks cleaner

Quick Reply: Decided to paint my fender grills