Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn Signals/Blinkers not cooperating...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signals/Blinkers not cooperating...

Okay so for the last few days my Blinkers have been acting up..

I will turn my left signal or right signal on and they will start blinking but then they start skipping beats... like it will blink at normal pace for 2 or 3 blinks then cut the next one in half......

Anyone experienced this problem? If so what causes it? How do I fix it?

Oh and apparently its causing my rear brakes to flicker too when it skips the beat so I think it could be a timer issue?
Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it do the same thing when you have the hazards on? if not id say replace the stock thermal flasher with a new one or get an EL12 electronic flasher if you ever plan to get LEDs for the turn signals.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Check your blinker fluid.
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=6
Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
does it do the same thing when you have the hazards on? if not id say replace the stock thermal flasher with a new one or get an EL12 electronic flasher if you ever plan to get LEDs for the turn signals.
When I turn on my hazards its fine... so yeah only when my blinkers are going... so that means its the flasher? What is stock in the trans am a thermal flasher? Any benefits on Electronic flashers if im not getting LEDS
Old 01-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The factory flashers are both thermal (T/S and hazards). The advantage of thermal flashers are that they are inexpensive and relatively reliable and did I mention they're cheap!

The advantage of electronic flashers is also their disadvantage. Electronic flashers will flash at the same rate regardless of load. This means that they are ideal for LED applications and can be used in a variety of incandescent bulb applications (e.g. trailer towing). However, they flash at the same rate even if something is wrong with your turn signals - they don't stop flashing if you have a burned out bulb so you have no indication of a problem. And they cost four times as much or more (although that's still only $10).
Old 01-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Launching!

okay thanks I got one last question where is this piece at when i'm looking to replace it?

on the car that is..
Old 01-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The turn signal flasher is clipped to the back of the dash just to the right of the opening when you take off the knee panel under the steering column. The easiest way to find it is follow the clicking noise after you remove that panel.