what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what to do??

alright my car is a 2000 trans am 6 speed...currently I've got true duals, lid, mac midlength headers, cat delete, egr and air delete, hot cam w/ ls6 valve springs, ws6 store short stick shifter handle...so not much really.....my income tax refund should be a nice chunk of change and was throwing around some ideas on what to do next that will give me the best bang for the buck......would it be a better idea to put a bigger cam in( I was looking at the MS3 or Ms4) and get a tune and then do the ls6 intake later..... or just put the LS6 intake and underdrive pulley on now and get a tune.
How much more hp and tq will I gain over the hot cam tuned with say the MS3 or MS4 with a tune?
what would you guys do realisically if you were in my shoes and had about a grand to play with in the next month or so?

Last edited by TwoFast; 01-18-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

do the cam swap but go with the fast 90/90 intake with the Nick williams 90mm TB!
Old 01-17-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At the very least I'd get some LS6 springs with that cam before you break an LS1 spring and drop a valve.

Decide what you want out of your car, do research on the parts needed, and then start building toward that goal instead of just throwing random parts at it. You'll save $ in the process and accomplish your goal quicker.

Before you move on to a large cam like the MS3, get all your supporting mods including ditching the Macs for some LT's. This coming from someone who ran Macs.

Don't overlook the importance of gearing, suspension and tires. Can you hook with your current power? Are you going to be in the MS3's power band with your gears? What use is a big cam that makes more power if you can't put it down? Ya it'll sound nice when you pull up, but it won't be so nice when you get your *** handed to you by a car with a smaller cam or bolt on only.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...what Greed said...mids are choking you out... Might sound nice, but LTs know flow!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm Mike Hutto

Originally Posted by Duffster
...what Greed said...mids are choking you out... Might sound nice, but LTs know flow!
Swapping those Mac's out is not a ood price per HP mod to do. He's got duals on the car already! Many people have made great power with Mac's and duals including myself...Swapping them out for 5 hp isnt worth the cost factor to replace everything. He's not going to pick up 20rwhp UNLESS he had the junk Mac y-pipe in either version. It's clear he doesn't. Change the cam, AND install the intake and pulley with it. If you need help on the install give me a PM. I'll help out!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He can find LTs for 200 and if the TDs are any good, 20 should be easy to obtain!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking 3.73 gears and a tune