General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Extended Warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Extended Warranty question

Has or does anyone have an extended warranty or recommend one?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't care for my extended warranty............It was like somebody else trying to tell me what I could do with my own car.

I had probs with the cat conveters and they wouldn't cover it because I had a aftermarket exhaust on the car. I cashed in the warranty and purchased Headers and a ory.

If you are gonna modify your car much at all, a warranty is not for you.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one on mine. Even after Modding the hell out of it, I had the rearend rebuilt under the warranty. If you can do your own work on the car it does not really pay to buy the warranty. If you can't the bill can add up in a hurry!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Launching!

I had one when I bought my first car, a 1998 Mustang. The warranty was through a 3rd party and not through the dealership. Long story short, the car needed a new motor (through no fault of my own) and they refused to pay for it even though it was supposed the cover the car from bumper to bumper. Warranty company and the dealership went back and forth blaming each other for the problem for 2 years, eventually with the help of a lawyer they were out a combined $50,000. If one of them had just paid the $4,600 for the new engine they could've saved themselves a lot of money and trouble. Ever since then I've avoided extended warranties on anything. It was a major hassle dealing with them.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
I didn't care for my extended warranty............It was like somebody else trying to tell me what I could do with my own car.

I had probs with the cat conveters and they wouldn't cover it because I had a aftermarket exhaust on the car. I cashed in the warranty and purchased Headers and a ory.

If you are gonna modify your car much at all, a warranty is not for you.
Aftermarket parts are not covered! If they were stock they would be covered, and depending on the (who's) warranty. My SS is fairly modified and I just had the air compressor replaced, window motor, rear axle and carrier bearings replaced and get this my front door speakers!! My warranty expires in about 6,000 miles. The cost was well worth it! Now things like the clutch, brakes, etc are not covered, i.e general wear and tear stuff!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1_Fonzie
I had one when I bought my first car, a 1998 Mustang. The warranty was through a 3rd party and not through the dealership. Long story short, the car needed a new motor (through no fault of my own) and they refused to pay for it even though it was supposed the cover the car from bumper to bumper. Warranty company and the dealership went back and forth blaming each other for the problem for 2 years, eventually with the help of a lawyer they were out a combined $50,000. If one of them had just paid the $4,600 for the new engine they could've saved themselves a lot of money and trouble. Ever since then I've avoided extended warranties on anything. It was a major hassle dealing with them.
Just curious,how much of the 50G's did you get? Your lawyer? Reguardless of the hassle it sounds like one of you two made out like a bandit!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lovin myls1
Just curious,how much of the 50G's did you get? Your lawyer? Reguardless of the hassle it sounds like one of you two made out like a bandit!
When I first bought the car, my dad had signed for it but I was paying for it (I had just turned 18 at the time). It was such a hassle dealing with the dealership because they refused to talk to us and both my dad and I had to skip days of work to meet with our lawyer and to meet with the dealership when they did decide to talk to us. My dad is a truck driver so missing any days of work means a significant cut in pay. We ended up getting getting the cost of the new engine and a little more than $12,000. The lawyer kept the rest. It was 2 years of absolute hell dealing with it which is why I wouldn't recommend getting an extended warranty, at least not with a third party.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sucks! Dealing with the lawyer was just as difficult as with the dealership.Hope your dad made up all his earnings.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Imo it would be a huge risk if you plan on modding your car. If you did end up getting one it would need to be from a GM dealership and NOT a third party.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

i had a local company cover mine (i bought the camaro after the 2nd engine and 3rd transmission on an AWD Turbo eclipse (side note: they really are as bad as everyone says lol)) and i couldn't have been happier i paid 2,300 for them to cover from 49,996 to 99,996 and in that time they never once were a problem they even paid to fix my window motor and to have me take it to a body shop for them to fix the fiberglass that the motor had hollowed out they were great.