LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

i unplugged my mass air flow when it was running

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i unplugged my mass air flow when it was running

my car had a bucking or bogging problem and over heating problem . i unplugged the maf air flow and the car runs like a champ now. the fan came on and it doesn't buck. i wanted to know how doess the maf effect the cooling system . also what will happen if i run the car without the maf in the long run. i recently bought an ect from autozone and installed only to find out that it might cause problems . people say i need the one from gm , is their a difference , could this be my overheating problem . I know the mass air flow is more than likely bad but why did the car do what it did .why is the fan coming on now. if anyone can help please do . but if you want to bash me because i dont know as much as you dont comment and kindly f***k off
thank
Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

yes it looks like the maf is bad. right now its running on speed density. it will affect your gas mileage. its basically a preset way to run the motor. with the maf the computer will change things more rapidly to compensate for changes
Old 01-26-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To add to what Elky said: The Speed Density mode (uses the MAP sensor) that the MAF equipped cars run in, is more of a fall-back mode in the case the MAF pukes out, as it has in your case. Now, it's not tuned in like cars that are MAP only, which is where the lack of power and fuel economy comes in. The reason for the fans though is the safety mode the car goes into due to a check engine light. If the CEL/SES isn't on, then it's a fair bet the bulb is burned out

With all that said, you have 2 options. Replace the MAF with a new/working one, or get the car's computer tuned to intentionally (an economically) run in Speed Density. Which will probably cost a bit more than buying a new MAF heh But! It'll be tuned not just for the SD mode but will help unlock some power, so it's a decent trade off if you don't plan to do any major mods to the car.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 PM

so it wont cause any problem other than gas mileage. also what do you think is up wit my fan just know coming on now cause it never came on before you think it could be the ect from autozone giving the pcm the wrong resistance reading cause its not the replacement from gm. the temp gauge could hit 260 and the fan wont come on .
Old 01-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Formula350 already explained why the fan is on. I know on 93 speed density LT1's that dont not have MAF sensors, the fans will come on full speed when there is any check engine light. If your fans arent comming on @ 260* then you have another problem. The cooling fans are trigered by a temp sensor located on the waterpump. This could be your problem. Does your A/C work?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 PM

no my a/c doesn't work i think it might just need a recharged .do you think that the one from autozone is the problem and neeed the gm replacement

Quick Reply: i unplugged my mass air flow when it was running