Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with 1.85 roller rockers or knowledge on valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Those with 1.85 roller rockers or knowledge on valve springs

I have the rockers but little confused on what to do with the springs. I did a search here and found some people reported some issues (or what appeared to be issues) with valve float using the 1.85's. Now I don't know what mileage/use they had on their springs or for that matter what year their car was. I couldn't even really figure out if they were running the stock cam or not. Add to this a phone conversation I had with SLP about if I needed to change my 32k mile springs and they said 02's have better springs. Maybe since I have an 02 which has a smaller duration and lift cam that was what they were getting at
So far in doing this car I haven't just dumped money just to dump money on every gizmo you can for the sake of changing things. For the rockers I did buy pushrods because I have the Comps Magnum kit with guide plates and you need them for that but also good to do while there. So running the stock stick am I okay with just bolting them on? Changing the springs is some work and I also wonder if the increased pressure will hurt anything like the stock lifters?

Suggestions on springs with part numbers and where to get ($100 range if possible) that will make it 100% safe against float.

Last edited by Intercooler2; 01-27-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a good beehive spring, Crane, PAC, etc..
Old 01-27-2009, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who has the good deals on those? Thanks for the response.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPH
Use a good beehive spring, Crane, PAC, etc..

Duals would be way overkill and if you are staying with the original lifters and cam. Lifters will last longest with the minimal seat pressure required to control things. Beehives are nice and I will ditch these duals for some Crane or PACS when the time comes. I don't think you will find a good set for $100. Look at the nitrided ons if you can swing them cause are supposed to have a much longer life.

Save youself some time and aggravation and get or rent a Crane valvespring tool. And the ones under the cowl are a bitch but do them first and the rest of the job will seem go faster. Lastly get your measured installed height and properly set and shim .060 from coilbind. This to will help valve control and spring life.

Last edited by SOMbitch; 01-28-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Who has the good deals on those? Thanks for the response.
Look to your right!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>