Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

OK tell me the diff between building a LS1 vs old school 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OK tell me the diff between building a LS1 vs old school 350

I want to hear what the builders have to say when it comes down to building the motor and machining the motor. What is the difference between them or almost any GM motor for that matter. Are they to be machined differently, the assembling is different how?

I hear how... dont go to this or that builder cause they never built a LS1 and they aren't like a old school 350ci motor build even if the guy builds 900hp sprint car motors he just isnt gonna know what to do to build a LS1 motor to last etc.

So please explain to me the differences in the the building and machining.
IMO-Cam bearings need to be true and straight, same as the main bearings. Cylinders need to be cleaned honed and assure the cylinders measure the same top to bottom I think. Rings that depends on application. In this application it would be mostly street/strip use with some spray down the road 150-200shot.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Launching!

I just build my first LS based motor this last summer and it was a new experience. I've been building gen I small blocks for the better part of twenty years, starting when I was 13. Before I got into it I did a bunch of reseach on here and got a Chilton's repair manual for the 98-02 F body which explained the actual assembly for me. For me it was tearing down the 6.0 iron block truck motor that I was using to see what made it tick, thats when you get to see the meat and potatos of an LS motor. Nothing like hands on experience to teach you. This was the first LS based engine my machine shop had seen for a build, even though two of the three guys own 02 camaros with LS1's. Between the two of us we figured it out. They did the prep (bored .030, cam bearings, balanced the new bottom end etc.). I did the assembly. The chiltons book was real good as far as the assembly procedure. The biggest change for me between the two was the torque to yeild bolts, and which bolts needed to be replaced, which was pretty much all of them. The rest was just like any other motor I've built, good prep work, clean environment and patience. I'm still working the bugs out of it, its a carbed motor. Not to mention I live in Rhode Island and theres been more snow than I know what to do with so the car is now covered up in the garage waiting for the weather to break. Having built and driven this motor I would have to say I don't think I would ever build another gen I motor, unless it was required for a porper resoration. There are so many little differences it would take all night to cover. I've only built one, but let me know if you have a specific questions I'll try to answer it for you. Good Luck!!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK I thought this was going to be a interesting topic for everyone. 47 views since last nite, 1 reply. Non of the builders for these motors want to shed some light on the topic for me? I trying to figure out if theres some special specs for LS1's that are just completely different or maybe magic to build one. The motor i'm interested in is a 6.0L truck block built into a 408 with callies dragon slayer crank, compstar rods, diamond pistons -2cc. Callies main caps, i believe melling oil pump, double roller timing chain and I'll be using the edelbrock 2 pc timing cover, ARP main studs etc.

Are they balanced differently? A different type of bore/line hone? I understand they take different components.

Every time I've asked anyone this question lately everyones LIKE OMG!!!!!!!! THEY ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOO DIFFERENT! You can't have a engine builder build one of those. You need a specific LS1 genius to build that. I'm not trying to take anything away from anyones skill level and experience. I just want the truth about the differences in building the LS1 vs. a old 350 for example.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:52 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

These types of questions get asked at least once a month. There are also about 4 different books on building LSx engines specifically. 99% of your questions can be answered with a trip to Barnes&Noble. "Internet Experts" aren't always that credible, even on here.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It does take a competent machine shop to build the LS engines. Normal "old school" guys can sometimes pick it up really quick, but sometimes i have heard about machine shops not wanting to do them. They think they require too many special tools. Really for machining, all you need is to check the cam tunnel, check the main bearing bore for alignment and out of round. Normally every engine should be honed with a torque plate. The deck should be checked to make sure the height is uniform between the two sides, and that it is flat and straight. The only other special tool that would come in handy would be the main cap removal tool. Other than that, they follow all the same guidelines of any engine. They are a different character being deep skirted, but any old mopar guy knows how to deal with that.

I would not just trust any ol machine shop to do it though. I would def call around your area and see who knows what. BUT also, i would post up in the regional boards on here and see if anyone knows of a good shop. Also you may look at some of the sponsors who are close to your area and talk to them about who they use or might recommend

Quick Reply: OK tell me the diff between building a LS1 vs old school 350