Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porta-wideband......

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:41 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Porta-wideband......

I've been thinking about building a portable wideband type setup lately. Use cigarette lighter for power/ground and just extend the main cable to reach outside the window to the exhaust at the side or to the rear and clip in an exhaust tip. I was thinking of using an Autometer/AEM or something so I don't have to deal with the sensitive grounding issue of the LC-1.

How reliable would putting one inside the tip of the exhaust pipe be at WOT on the street? I know the results may be skewed a bit just driving around normally due to all the air turbulence, but I figure at WOT it should be pretty close considering the huge amount of exhaust gas that'll be coming out.

Has anyone ever done this? I guess I could do a back-to-back comparison both ways and see how it works out lol.

Also, what kind of effect do a set of stock cats have on the AFR under WOT?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people will say up to .5 of a point it will be off after the cat. I'm running a PLX M300 with the Bosch sensor after my cat (secondary 02 bung) and it reads 14.7 at idle, so I'm assuming that it is accurate elsewhere also.

If you are going to do a tail pipe setup, I'd make a rig to put it in the exhaust tip a couple inches. Should help minimize any problems, even if it's not much.

I almost want to order the dual band LM2 so I can put one before the cat and one after to see if there are any differences elsewhere, besides just speculation.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is no set % off after a cat, you need to deplete the stored oxygen in the catalyist, and then it is accurate, before that happens, there is no mathmatical data to prove the difference.

Ryan
Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could get an LM1. It's exactly as your describing. Power from the cig lighter and comes with an extended cord to the sensor already. Innovate also makes a clamp to go on the tail pipe. I've had no experience with AFR through the tip; but I've heard it's not optimal. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AEM widebands are JUNK! I have dealt with 3 so far and can never seem to get the output to read the same as the gage in the tuning software. Yes, I even tried tweaking the formulas as you can't change the output voltage range. If I'm tuning a car without it's own WB02, I borrow my buddies LM1 (mine is hardwired under the dash) and he has the tail pipe clamp w/ bung thing that you just screw down in the back. Fortunately, we dont have emissions ****'s in Florida right now so I never have to work on a car with CATs.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My AEM seems to match my tuning software, and matches my AFM1000 AFX/NTK setups.

Ryan
Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input guys!

Any experience with running a tail pipe clamp setup on the street? I was planning on putting the sensor up in the pipe a good bit. For the cars with cats, I can tune WOT in open loop, and just use the front O2 bung. No cats I'll just clamp it. Most cars I mess with don't have cats anyway lol.