LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Edelbrock Air Gap Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edelbrock Air Gap Intake Manifold

I ran across one today at a hot rod expo in the swap meet there..

the guy is asking $175. Its stamped "BLEM" on the underneath.. He said they get rid of them because of smears in the paint and things like that. I noticed a couple small places that the paint looked kind of messed up.

I've heard of companies getting rid of blemmished products before, but I just wanted someone elses opinion.. I looked all over and didn't see any cracks or anything, but I'm no expert either.

I do know these were selling for around 500 new. I offered him 130 and he turned it down. the thing ends tomorrow, I'm probably gonna stop by and see if its still there.

I know they don't actually pick up a whole lot of power, but I figured getting one for 150ish would be worth it, unless the thing is just a peice of junk.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

it might be worth is money wise but not power wise. edelbrock intakes are know to reduce hp more than anything. im sure someone has an application where it helps tho
Old 01-31-2009, 02:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the best case scenario for that intake is a forced induction car that has a cowl hood to allow the engine bay to be as cool as possible...

The reduced plenum size really shouldn't matter with the forced induction and the cooler engine compartment will allow it to actually use the 'air gap' feature to keep the incoming charge as cool as possible...

Now, this is all 'hypothetical' and speculation, but really a fairly accurate breakdown of how it's potential could be maximized... Until someone actually ran it and dyno'd it back-to-back with an LT1 intake under FI, no-one will ever really know...
Old 01-31-2009, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly that is a smoking deal! But......is it worth $175 TO YOU to gain maybe 1hp?
Old 01-31-2009, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

One of the Chevy magazines tested it as a LOSE on a very mild motor. I wouldn't put one on the car if given too me.

The "airgap" thing never made sense to me because all the air that high up underhood came through the radiator, how much cooling you think that air does????

You want to "cool" the intaske charge than consider thermal coating the intake to stop the heat transfer, not using hot underhood air to "cool" things.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, GMHT did it maybe an issue or two ago.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Air Gap Intake Manifold