Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corsa Or Borla for my situation.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsa Or Borla for my situation.

Okay atm my car is stock with the exception of flowmasters. They sound good and deep but very quiet....

I wanted to go with something louder.

My question is if i'm stock everything which would sound better?

I ask this because i heard some of the exhaust systems don't sound good without additional mods..

Also when I do decide to change over what all is involved? I'm a complete noob when it comes to exhaust. I still don't know exactly what the difference between a catback and a muffler is ha. Embarressing I know..

Anyway if I wanted to switch do I have to buy the whole exhaust system they sell? Or can I just switch on certain parts?

Feel free to chime in with some noob info on the basics.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Koastie57
Okay atm my car is stock with the exception of flowmasters. They sound good and deep but very quiet....

I wanted to go with something louder.

My question is if i'm stock everything which would sound better?

I ask this because i heard some of the exhaust systems don't sound good without additional mods..

Also when I do decide to change over what all is involved? I'm a complete noob when it comes to exhaust. I still don't know exactly what the difference between a catback and a muffler is ha. Embarressing I know..

Anyway if I wanted to switch do I have to buy the whole exhaust system they sell? Or can I just switch on certain parts?

Feel free to chime in with some noob info on the basics.

Thanks
if you wanna be loud, fire a cutout under there

you can either swap out your flowmaster muffler for a different one, or put in a whole new catback. id suggest going to ls1sounds.com and seeing which exhaust setups you like the best.

for basic information about exhaust and initial mods, https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-posting.html
Old 02-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of those catbacks are expensive as hell. Usually all you have to do is cut the old exhaust off and put the new one on. A catback comes with everything after the cats piping, muffler and tips included. Or you could just weld in a muffler of your choice in the place of your flowmaster. Borla is adjustable you can make it louder or quieter with a plate it comes with and has a muscle car tone, corsa is more racy sounding like a corvette. If you got that kinda money also look into gmmg and mufflex.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:58 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I can't give any info regarding the Borla, I don't even know anyone that has Borla, but I can tell you that I love my Corsa cat-back. Are you planning on getting LT's? One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people that have the ORY with LT's get a rasp sound from the Corsa. I have cats, so mine isn't raspy. Personally, I'm a big fan of stainless steel exhaust cause of it's longevity, that why I went the cat back and lt's that I did. Also, as far as sound is concerned, I think transambroli is correct, but Corsa does have some sound clips on their website that you can check out.

Edit: For clarification on difference between cat-back and muffler. Cat-back includes all the piping from the cats back to the tips, the muffler is just the muffler with no piping.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

i got a borla love the sound its loud with pacesetters and an ory
Old 02-01-2009, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Borla
Old 02-01-2009, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

borla. love the borla sound and flow great too
Old 02-01-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Borla for sure. It sounds really good IMO I just love it.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 AM
Staging Lane

i run a borla cat back with everything else stock...at idle its quiet but get on it and it sounds like a race car...just quieter lol...my friend who has had alot of small and big blocks said its the best sounding exhaust he has heard
Old 02-02-2009, 06:46 AM
TECH Regular

I love my borla. It's loud as hell when you get on it!!!!

I will probably switch to some TSP duals soon though. I love the look of no tips.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

definitely find a car that has the systems you are looking at on them and listen for yourself. There is always controversy on this topic.... Each person hears it differently. I think Borla sounds like absolute garbage, but I love my Corsa.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both those catbacks are pricey. but i would just go with the corsa. they have the best looking tips hands down.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Borla sounds great with stock manifolds and cats. It can be a little raspy with longtubes and ory depending on which plate you put in.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i vote borla. i have ARH lt's, catted y, and a open plate borla its mean and loud if you want it quite put in a block off plate of your choice
Old 02-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Launching!

I'll use Corsa stan steel. I love the sound.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Borla sounds good with stock manifolds and catted y-pipe....great tone and very aggressive when you crack the throttle open.
Borla with LT's and ORY is loud all the time and flat out mean....gets a little raspy without the cats but so do a lot of other systems. Costs a bit more than other systems as well but well worth it.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

i think borla sounds better on a mild bolt-on car (no cam) and the corsa sounds better with cammed cars. but thats just my opinion.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Launching!

okay, i love all the input but as I was reading that most people are focusing on the type of sound rather than the volume level... I'm not sure what these ORY's and Cats are but whatever I have stock is what I got..(If anyone wants to clarify if I got cats are whatever that would be great)

I'm fine with the sound of flowmaster, I just want it louder, now I know most would say just get a cut-out but I was wandering before I do that if I could switch mufflers and get a louder sound....

Remember I'm keeping my car stock for a long time so keep that in mind... No Headers No Cam for about 3 years, for many thats a turn off but its a choice I made because of financials...

I would love to just buy a Corsa Muffler but I heard its actually softer than Flowmaster.

To me it sounds like when I Wot on my Flowmaster Exhaust it actually gets softer sounding and highpitch, I want something that gets louder not softer...

At the same time I don't want alot of drone or really loud idle..

I know this is alot to ask but since i'm not very educated in this section of mods, I want to make sure I know what i'm doing and all my options before I proceed.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

ORY is off road Y pipe meaning it has no cats. Cats are catalytic converters. If you are stock you have cats built into your Y pipe. Find someone on here that lives close to you so you can hear their exhaust to help you get what your looking for. Corsa and Borla are both great setups.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are two Borla's. The non-adjustable, and the adjustable so which one are you guys talking about that sounds so awsome? Also, I believe the Corsa went up in price too. Two months ago, it was a bit over 800(I think, dont shoot) But now it has gone over 1,000 on most sites that i've seen it on.

Heres a link....a whopping $1,072.49. What.The.****? For pipes, and a muffler. This is sickening.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1136