Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator is NOT charging!!! i need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Alternator is NOT charging!!! i need help

Ok guys, so i thought that the problem with my charging system was the exciter wire. So i replaced it with a brand new one from AC Delco, and my system still isnt charging. i dont know what the problem with this thing is, but its really really really getting to me, enough so that i almost want to sell the thing. I am going to get another alternator at autozone tomorrow, but jesus, i am really out of options here. I checked all the fuses, they are good. The battery cables are all good, and everything is hooked up. Does anyone have any kind of idea what is wrong? Is my car junk? What could be the worst case scenario? Thanks to everyone who is helping me out.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:55 AM
12 Second Club

have your alternator and battery checked at a local auto parts store
Old 02-04-2009, 03:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem installing a new alternator. After installing two alternators in two days, I was frustrated. I kept taking back the alternator to the local NAPA. On the third one, I asked the guy to test the old one and also the new one he was giving me. It turns out that the alternator I'd installed was indeed broken. The main terminal on the back (the one with the stud that connects to the thick gauge wire to the battery) was broken.
The new alternator was fine.

Funny thing is that I believe that I had broken the 1st and 2nd replacement terminals by overtightening that nut. I didn't put a wrench behind the stud when I tightened the wire onto it. I believe that I was overtightening that nut which kept breaking the terminal. Of course I didn't tell the NAPA guy what I'd done.

So turns out that 3rd time was it. I also performed the BIG THREE mod while I was doing the electrical. Now my system charges like a champ and my idle even smoothed out a little.

I hope this is your problem because it's easy to correct. Be careful when you tighten that nut.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 AM
TECH Resident

good call. i actually work at autozone, so i wont have a problem taking it back or anything. i just have had it with these alternators this far. ill know tomorrow if i have to get a 200 amp or whatever. I have a racetronix hotwire kit hooked up, but not to the pump now, because of this problem. i also have an amp and subs hooked up.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my alternator fail on me last year, I bought a duralast from autozone, lasted a week, replaced it, new one lasted 4 days , replaced it next one lasted bout 2 weeks, Made autozone give me my money back, bought a new one from O'reillys, about 40 dollars more than the duralast and I have had no more problems. All of the autozone alternators failed on their test machine, I thought it was something with my car, but it wasnt, their junk mexican parts, I believe they had a problem with the diode packs in the alternators.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RARON455
I had my alternator fail on me last year, I bought a duralast from autozone, lasted a week, replaced it, new one lasted 4 days , replaced it next one lasted bout 2 weeks, Made autozone give me my money back, bought a new one from O'reillys, about 40 dollars more than the duralast and I have had no more problems. All of the autozone alternators failed on their test machine, I thought it was something with my car, but it wasnt, their junk mexican parts, I believe they had a problem with the diode packs in the alternators.
Yup, same here. Had an Autozone alternator fail on me after 3 weeks, leaving me stranded. Real nice.

Replaced with an OEM and its been running strong since, for like um about 4 years now.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

I used reman aftermarkets and went through 4 within 3 weeks. Finally broke down and got a AC Delco reman from dealer. Been running for almost a year now and not a single issue. Its worth the extra money to know you got a good part.