Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

worried about my .060 over 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worried about my .060 over 6.0

I got an engine from a buddy of mine that i plan on running in my car but i'm worried about cylinder wall issues because it is .060. i don't know that it was sonic tested and checked for thickness or anything it was built by his engine builder. you guys think its to thin? what should i do?

on another note i am running L92 heads out of the box not shaved and block is not decked any idea on a push rod length?
Old 02-05-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the engine going to be FI or NA ?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Teching In

its gonna be n/a but was planning on a little spray
Old 02-07-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

From most of the publications I have seen, your not supposed to go more than 30 over or you would have ring sealing issues, and bore distortion. I would have it sonic tested just to be sure, be a shame to put all that money into an assembly and have probs down the road.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ice cream man
I got an engine from a buddy of mine that i plan on running in my car but i'm worried about cylinder wall issues because it is .060. i don't know that it was sonic tested and checked for thickness or anything it was built by his engine builder. you guys think its to thin? what should i do?

on another note i am running L92 heads out of the box not shaved and block is not decked any idea on a push rod length?
If the block is an LQ9 iron block, you may be ok. I have one of those blocks sitting on a stand waiting for a build. I understand they will take the
.060 overbore. But it'll be pushin it. Will Hanzels book says not to overbore the 6.0 at all because "the cylinder bores are nearly the max for wall thickness". But I'm not sure that material is up to date. The castings may have been updated since to support an overbore. Especially since the 6.2 Aluminum block was released.
With an aluminum block, a .060 overbore is a no-no. The liners are only .100 to begin with. A .060 overbore would only leave you a .040 cylinder wall. That would not be the hot ticket for a high performance build. These liners have a bad habit of creeping and distorting under high performance loads we would put to them -nitrous, blowers, turbos, etc. Your engine wouldn't last long with less than half of its original cylinder wall thickness.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Teching In

see i read that about the 6.0 too but, i did get a hold to the guy that built it and he says it was sonic tested for thickness and that it should be good to go. i am still worried about over heating issues because it will see a good bit of street duty not sure what i will do with it yet.