Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

which motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default which motor?

There seem to be some deals for complete, intake to oil pan, new factory crates and I am seriously thinking about doing a swap. I'd like to get about 400 crank hp and will be running long tube headers with the conversion kit I will be using. I am thinking the below engines should get me to my goal with a cam swap (something simple, proven like an LS6 cam). I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible since there will be plenty of other expenses. Only problem is I don't seem to be searching in the right area for these part numbers and then when I read GMPP catalog, it described "some" engines had AFM/DoD and/or VVT.

Does any know any more details on the below listed engines?

First engine I was looking at mainly because of price -
5.3 (iron block) pn# 12620054. thought this might not have AFM making a cam swap cheaper (no need to buy lifters). Described as a truck motor, would cam and headers even get me near my goal? IS it AFM equipped?

5.3 (aluminum block) pn# 12607408. was a $1k more than the first one, so unless there is something that I don't know with this motor that will put me ahead money wise, I'll go cheaper. Would really like it for the weight savings though.

6.0 (L76, aluminum block) pn# 12620059. About $1.4K more than the first one. Might not need a cam swap with this but GMPP catalog has a general comment about 6.0L motors: says some motors have provisions for AFM and in addition some have VVT... great.. make it more confusing - what are "provisions"?

Looks like I could get a 6.0L iron block/aluminum head for near the same price as the L76. no part number though, need to look into that.

If its AFM/DoD equipped, I'll likely need to get 8 more lifters, valley & timing covers in addition to the cam just making it cost more?

If its VVT equipped, I'll need to do a cam swap or buy mast motorsports controller.

Keeping in mind that I want to get my horsepower for as little money as possible, which one is the best choice for me? I'd hate to buy the cheapest motor and discover I could've gotten by with the 6.0L for the nearly the same price in the end.

I am not asking about the total conversion costs! - I already know things like oil pans, starters, etc will be needed with each.