General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Quick engine question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick engine question.

Got my 5.3 swapped in, and I have a quick question.

We decided to see if it would even crank last night, and to my suprise it fired up first try.

The transmission is not in yet, and none of the O2 senors are hooked up. Just running straight headers at the moment. Anyways, we cranked it up let it run for a little bit, and when I tried to give it gas it kind of bogged down a little bit and I saw the check engine light flash. Now it was definately producing a lot of smoke, and the smoke smelt like it had a lot of fuel in it. Possible that this is because of the O2s being disconnected or maybe the transmission?

Maybe I forgot to hook a ground up or something, gonna go back to the shop later on, but I figured i'd ask.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

flashing check engine lights are usually sign for misfires
Old 02-06-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

misfire due to rich condition, more then likly becuse of no o2 sensors.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Okay put new O2s in and it still ran like ****. I noticed that my SES light was flashing, as well as my security light, and my trip meter lcd.

I'm thinking it may be the grounds behind the head. I know they're a bitch to get to so I was wondering if I could just snip them, extend them and ground them somewhere else on the block.

I also had a mechanical oil pressure gauge hooked up so see if I was getting any oil pressure, I saw oil come up the line but it never made it to the gauge. I'm assuming because a few of my cylinders are not firing lol.

Don't know if I specified or not, but this is a 5.3 running in a 98 Trans Am. Still have the stock computer and tune. I was told it should fire up and become drivable to get to a tuner.