General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

headlight brass gear question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight brass gear question

ok about a year ago my headlight made the infamous noise, i replaced the gear with the brass one and everything worked great! except about 2 months later the same noise came back then the light eventually stopped working again. i haven't taken it back apart but do you think it could be that the brass gear caused the other nylon gear that goes up and down to break???
Old 02-07-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

read the sticky
Old 02-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stoge52
ok about a year ago my headlight made the infamous noise, i replaced the gear with the brass one and everything worked great! except about 2 months later the same noise came back then the light eventually stopped working again. i haven't taken it back apart but do you think it could be that the brass gear caused the other nylon gear that goes up and down to break???
That has broken on peoples headlight motors before from the metal gear. The metal gear basically has no give whatsoever, the gear needs to be plastic so it can flex a little. The metal gear eats up the worm gear sometimes just because its not a perfectly fitting matched piece up against the worm gear. The ones that last a long time just happen to fit perfectly so the worm gear doesn't get eaten up.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem could be that if the plastic gear housing is loose on the motor housing it will flex at that point causing the worm gear to try to push itself away from the brass gear.
This lessens the cantact area of the gears meshing and could eventually strip even a brass gear...

I just Installed the revised kit they have out now a month ago and it comes with a t-shaped reinforcing bracket to clamp the epoxy'd on cover down and also comes with a new rubber gear insert and better epoxy...
But the instructions clearly say to squeese the metal tabs on the motor housing inward to eliminate any flex there or the problem will come back even with a brass gear.. Hope this helps.