Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

underdrive install

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default underdrive install

i'm putting a slp underdrive on my car and cannot find the tool to do the job nor can i find the bolt or threded rod around me was wondering if there are any other tricks to putting it on??? i dont wanna go the hammer method but i'm not driving an hour or more to get what i need???
Old 02-07-2009, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a sponsor on here that sells the install tool. cant remember his name off the top of my head
Old 02-07-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kibZ28
i'm putting a slp underdrive on my car and cannot find the tool to do the job nor can i find the bolt or threded rod around me was wondering if there are any other tricks to putting it on??? i dont wanna go the hammer method but i'm not driving an hour or more to get what i need???
Here is the tool

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...tool-pics.html
I just finished mine tonight. I went to pep boys and got a 3 arm pulley puller. Autozone's free tool was wrong. I had to just take a flat block of wood and kept hitting the pulley with short strokes till it moved enough for the bolt to grab. Autozones tool was supposed to work for the install also but it was also wrong. So that's why I used the wood. This is the style pulley I got at pep boys
http://www.ebbsnflows.cz28.com/photo4.html
Old 02-07-2009, 06:56 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just can't find the right tool, many DIYers will put the UD pulley in the oven at 250* for 20 minuntes or so and then do as the guy above said, use the block of wood trick and if you get it started quickly it'll pull on in.

I highly recommend getting a new bolt and installing it properly (torque to yield process) after the pulley is fully seated.

G/L
Old 02-07-2009, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

can also borrow the tool frm autozone. be sure to use a new bolt also and not to re-use the stock crank bolt
Old 02-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thankx guys have the new bolt also and i think the block of wood is ganna do the trick because the closest auto store that would have the tool is about an hour away and tommorow is the nicest day in a while here
Old 02-07-2009, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

no prob man. hope the install goes smoothly