Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EXTERIOR DETAIL: Owner photo documents the process

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXTERIOR DETAIL: Owner photo documents the process

At this time of year, it's difficult to get motivated or have weather suited outdoors for doing any type of detailing. In this example, I had decent weather in late January for improving the surface finish of a local owner's 2006 Lexus IS several weeks ago. Here is an example of the surface scratches present and usually associated with the normal washing and drying process.

After a thorough wash to remove the heavy and loose dirt, I clay barred the paint and glass with a gray mild Clay Magic bar to remove any gritty contaminants(tree sap, rail dust, old wax etc.) that may have been present. Once completed, a rinse to remove any soap and residue was done.

I started with the FLEX buffer using a combo of an orange pad/Menzerna SIP to remove the circular style scratches. Starting a speed 3 to spread the product on the surface, I increased to speed 5 and moved slowly across the area to break the product down until it was almost clear. With the Menzerna, expect it to dust rather heavily due to its powder base.

This detail gave me a chance to test a new purple foam foamed wool pad from Lake Country for its effects.

After using the orange/SIP combo, I followed with a white pad/TC-8 Swirl Cutter to smooth the surface and remove any micro-marring/hazing caused by the orange pad combo. As a guideline, Swirl Cutter can be used to remove the ultra-fine lines on the surface or holograms caused by a high speed rotary polisher. For deeper or more stubborn scratches, it is better to attempt machine removal using either Menzerna IP or SIP with the orange pad.

For today's exterior finish, I appled the TC-3 "Sunburst" Sealant xP using the blue "final finishing pad. This combination has no cutting ability as I was looking to get maximum clarity, gloss and protection. For more depth on darker colors, our TC-2 "Crystal Black" Carnauba Creme is very effective too.

To complete the exterior look, the tires were dressed with our water based TC-15 "White Pearl" Tire/Trim Dressing.

Since the Menzerna and Swirl Cutter can be dusty with their use, I followed with a quick rinse to clean out all crevices. The blower can be quite handy for clearing out all remaining water.

Starting later this week, we will demonstrate the effects of these products and more on a '06 Nissan 350Z at the Dallas Autorama at Market Hall. For those who have a chance to come to show, feel free to come see us in booth 27-29.

Feel free to comment or ask any questions.

Last edited by Steve@Tropi-Care; 02-10-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks real good! I just have a few questions though. I plan on doing the outside of my car soon. I ordered from you around christmas. My car is red and I have swirl marks throughout the paint.. So I should wash with dawn, clay bar, rinse, etc. and use the PC with an Orange Pad and menzerna SIP correct? Then after that use Swirl Cutter on what kind of pad? And finish up with a wax/sealant of my choice on a blue finishing pad right? Thanks!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

Looks good!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks great
Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Looks real good! I just have a few questions though. I plan on doing the outside of my car soon. I ordered from you around christmas. My car is red and I have swirl marks throughout the paint.. So I should wash with dawn, clay bar, rinse, etc. and use the PC with an Orange Pad and menzerna SIP correct? Then after that use Swirl Cutter on what kind of pad? And finish up with a wax/sealant of my choice on a blue finishing pad right? Thanks!
I wouldn't use any dish soap on your car, it's not necessary to remove your old wax..any wax cleaner will do that, without stripping all the oils from the paint. You can clay the paint right after you wash it, I would use the least aggresive pad first say a white CCS pad, then work up to the more aggresive orange pad if necessary. Don't make more work for yourself than need be. (i've seen your car on here) although NOT up close, but I don't think you'll need an orange pad.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sstg
I wouldn't use any dish soap on your car, it's not necessary to remove your old wax..any wax cleaner will do that, without stripping all the oils from the paint. You can clay the paint right after you wash it, I would use the least aggresive pad first say a white CCS pad, then work up to the more aggresive orange pad if necessary. Don't make more work for yourself than need be. (i've seen your car on here) although NOT up close, but I don't think you'll need an orange pad.
Thanks.. What IS the correct way to dry the car? Besides a leafblower. Just some clean microfiber towels?
Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

98 WS6:

For these projects, I haven't used dishwashing liquid in surface prep in more than 5 years. Any wax the clay bar doesn't remove will be taken off with abrasive products such as Swirl Cutter or Menzerna.

sstg is right on with his recommendations for your project.

If your surface has very light blemishes, star with the white or orange(only as needed) pad/Swirl Cutter. If they are not removed with that combo, then step up to orange pad/Menzerna. Once you're satisfied with the results for the day, then you can can finish using the blue pad to apply sealant for high gloss or liquid wax to give you additional depth.

For drying the car, I use our microfiber waffle weave drying towels.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Thanks.. What IS the correct way to dry the car? Besides a leafblower. Just some clean microfiber towels?
Microfiber waffle weave to dry. Blower/air compressor to blow out crevices,body lines.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

do ya'll have any opinions on the absorber towels...I use one on my car and I always get great results but does it harm the finish at all?
Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

My swirls are about as "bad" as the Lexus you posted. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks great. mine isnt bad at all, but i wish someone around here could do that for me.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks real good
Old 02-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Launching!

man what a difference, great product
Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Postman
do ya'll have any opinions on the absorber towels...I use one on my car and I always get great results but does it harm the finish at all?
I am very comfortable using waffle weave towels for my personal vehicles and other detail projects. With this microfiber weave composition, any light surface dust/grit particles can be trapped in the knap of the towel and away from the paint surface, Unfortunately that can't be the case if it happens with an absorber's surface texture.

If you notice new scratches and lines appearing on the paint, it could be the result of any item that comes into contact with the surface maintenance (washing/drying/detail spray) process.

JerseyLS1TA:

This detailng process can be applied to any vehicle by anyone. For those who have never used a buffing machine such as a Porter Cable or FLEX, this is a safe and fairly easy acquired technique to improve the paint condition. It is much more effective compared to hand attempts in removing minor-moderate surface scratches using patience and appropriate product/buffing pad combinations.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
I am very comfortable using waffle weave towels for my personal vehicles and other detail projects. With this microfiber weave composition, any light surface dust/grit particles can be trapped in the knap of the towel and away from the paint surface, Unfortunately that can't be the case if it happens with an absorber's surface texture.

If you notice new scratches and lines appearing on the paint, it could be the result of any item that comes into contact with the surface maintenance (washing/drying/detail spray) process.

JerseyLS1TA:

This detailng process can be applied to any vehicle by anyone. For those who have never used a buffing machine such as a Porter Cable or FLEX, this is a safe and fairly easy acquired technique to improve the paint condition. It is much more effective compared to hand attempts in removing minor-moderate surface scratches using patience and appropriate product/buffing pad combinations.
I agree with all points said.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

thanks for the info man, i'll have to look into getting some of those from ya'll!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

Nice work!

What do you think of the LC purple foam/wool pads? I have some but havent tried them out yet.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Good work.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Nice work!

What do you think of the LC purple foam/wool pads? I have some but havent tried them out yet.
Thanks.

I used it only a couple of times trying to gauge its performance. With the SIP/FLEX combo, I haven't noticed any appreciable micro-marring on the surface. This purple foam pad variety "KOMPRESSOR" has 1/4" slices across the face of the pad.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

wondering about after clay bar, and after the swirl cutter phase... then you use the sealant, if you use the dark spray wax.. what would happen if you use the sealant again after applying your wax coats? Just thought it may protect the wax longer.. or will it just end up smearing the wax and preventing that deep wet look?