LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

H.I.D. question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H.I.D. question.

Something strange happened to me last night. While I was in the garage I noticed that my passenger side H.I.D started to flash like a strobe(without the key in the ignition). When the car was started up the passenger side light would not come back on.It's strange because the key wasn't in the ignition. After the light incident I noticed that my passenger side light is always going out & coming back on intermitently.Might this have something to do with the GXP sentinel light. For those of you who have H.I.D.'s are ypu using relays?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, are you not using one? If not, I would highly discourage the use of a kit without one, no matter what some people may say about some kits not needing one. Cheap insurance since a relay harness only costs 15 bucks.

If you are using one, not sure what could be happening. A quick flicker or 2 right after startup is normal, but randomly strobing when like that I've never heard of that. Were the lights also turned off and it just came on itself?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Highly recommend a relay.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 20SS07
Yes, are you not using one? If not, I would highly discourage the use of a kit without one, no matter what some people may say about some kits not needing one. Cheap insurance since a relay harness only costs 15 bucks.

If you are using one, not sure what could be happening. A quick flicker or 2 right after startup is normal, but randomly strobing when like that I've never heard of that. Were the lights also turned off and it just came on itself?
The stange thing about that is the key wasn't even in the ignition.I ordered a new kit from E-bay but before I install it I'll try the relays first. If all goes well good,if not I'll install the new kit. I have a sneeky suspition that the ballast is toast.. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

def get a relay.. Its funny how many ppl you see on the road with HID lights and only one is on. You kinda figure that there no way all them cars have a burnt out light when they are suppose to last longer than halogen. The relay will fix that problem since ur getting the power straight from the battery..
Old 02-11-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to mention you won't run the risk of frying your stock harness. Yea, once they're on they use alot less power than your halogens, but when they first start up they use ALOT more power to initially fire up the ballasts.

But yea, definitely get a relay harness in there. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Thanx 4 the info