Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant seal question???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Coolant seal question???

Ok,
The new style block off for the LS6 or FAST intake has O-rings on the bottom of them. But still says four coolant seals required (the old style aluminum seals). Should I run both? I used them on just one car before (the new style with just the o-ring) and I swear they drip slightly over time. So would both seals cure this?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume you're talking about the coolant 'air bleeds' at the corner of each head. There is a small seal with an O ring at each of the 4 corners - you need them whether you run the old X pipe or newer style with plugs at the back. Here is a description from ls1howto:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2
Now, if you have a '98-'00 car with a stock intake manifold, you'll have a big X shaped coolant pipe bolted to the heads going across the engine valley. If you have a 2001+ intake manifold (on any year car), you'll have the new style coolant pipe which just runs to the front of the heads, and then you'll have a plug on the back of each head.

Last edited by massls1guy; 02-14-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 02-15-2009, 01:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have to get some pictures up to show you what I mean. I am talking about the coolant bleed pipes and plugs. The new ones from the dealer come with an o-ring groove machined into the gasket surface of the bleed pipes and plugs. They are not flat anymore on the bottom. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Carter