Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help please

I got a 97 camaro, with the lt1. I got a GM rebuilt transmission that came out of a 97 full size chevy pickup truck (1500).
I know that I have to grind off the ears on the bellhousing, but I have a couple other questions.

There is a lot of wiring going to the shifter, a mechanic told me it goes to the neutral safety switch and some wiring inside the transmission is gonna have to be changed??? IS THIS TRUE?
That is my main problem, as to why I havent messed with it.

I also know the tailshaft housing is gonna have to be changed. All I have to do is take out the four bolts and then switch them dont I? There isnt anything inside that is gonna get comlicating is it? I know Im gonna have to change the seals and what not.

Basically, the mechanic has had my tranmission for over 2 weeks now and hasnt dont what needs to be done for it to go into my car. I gotta have it in this weekend so Im picking it up Friday if he is done or not.
If anyone can help me with my questions I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
I got a 97 camaro, with the lt1. I got a GM rebuilt transmission that came out of a 97 full size chevy pickup truck (1500).
I know that I have to grind off the ears on the bellhousing, but I have a couple other questions.

There is a lot of wiring going to the shifter, a mechanic told me it goes to the neutral safety switch and some wiring inside the transmission is gonna have to be changed??? IS THIS TRUE?
That is my main problem, as to why I havent messed with it.

I also know the tailshaft housing is gonna have to be changed. All I have to do is take out the four bolts and then switch them dont I? There isnt anything inside that is gonna get comlicating is it? I know Im gonna have to change the seals and what not.

Basically, the mechanic has had my tranmission for over 2 weeks now and hasnt dont what needs to be done for it to go into my car. I gotta have it in this weekend so Im picking it up Friday if he is done or not.
If anyone can help me with my questions I would greatly appreciate it.
The internal wiring is not different, the tail housing needs to be changed. As long as they are both 97 units they should not need internal mods.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I can just cut all of the wires off that are on the linkage and then hook my linkage to it?
Basically there are wires on the side of the transmission that mine didnt have. They go to a little black box next to the linkage on the side, I think its for the neutral safety switch.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:34 PM

So I can just cut all of the wires off that are on the linkage and then hook my linkage to it?
Basically there are wires on the side of the transmission that mine didnt have. They go to a little black box next to the linkage on the side, I think its for the neutral safety switch.
Your vehicle has the neutral switch in the shifter, the truck transmission has it on the side. You may need the shorter manual shaft changed, but that can be done by dropping the pan.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you very much.
The guy working on the trans has been very busy so Im gonna have to do it myself, its not gonna be as hard as I thought.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:47 PM

Thank you very much.
The guy working on the trans has been very busy so Im gonna have to do it myself, its not gonna be as hard as I thought.
Your Welcome. As long as the model are the same year it is manage-able. If your transmission look totally different externally such as the bell housing unbolts then you have more concerns.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

They look the same. At first I had an s10 transmission that wouldnt work, had the detatchable bellhousing. I had to take it back and change it.
Wish I could afford built unit right now but Im having to make a junkyard transmission work for now.
Once again thanks for the help.