Sponsored by:

Motor plate setup with Log/Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Motor plate setup with Log/Turbo

Well guys,

We have hit a real wall here guys. I am trying to install a motor plate in my current build and cannot get the motor plate figured out.
Background:
I have found a company that interested in getting into the market of motor plates for our cars, and have been working with them on an almost daily basis getting a new motor plate design for our cars. Last week I got our first mock-up of the plate. We went to get it in last night. It didn't fit perfectly, but gave a good initial impression of it. The second mock up should fit like a glove! They will be making their plates in 3/8 and 1/4, depending on buyer choice, and in two styles. I went with the bigger/beefier setup.

Here is the initial plate and mockup:

Traditionally, I think most guys mount their alternator high on the passenger head when they run logs? In my case, the motor plate runs high. I am worried this be too much cutting into the structure of the plate.

I could fit it low on the passenger side, but the 4" DP needs to run through there. And there is NO way it's fitting on the passenger side with the log over there(hard to see in the above pic, but trust me, it isn't happening, haha.

Please, can you guys help give me some ideas? Do I need to look for a smaller frame alternator? Would it be ok to mount it high and cut into the motor plate that much?

I know traditionally the motor plates run low across the frame rails, but the idea behind this one is to utilize the logs and run the plate over them, connecting the shock towers at the same time.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO...you can cut and shape them quite a bit...especially with a midplate

here's a pic of my modified madman pieces...

Old 02-19-2009, 11:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So where did you end up mounting your alternator?

Edit: nm, I see you got yours to fit in the stock location. NICE

Last edited by tim99ws6; 02-19-2009 at 11:51 AM.