Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

My Center Cap Mod, LOL :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Center Cap Mod, LOL :)

So I know a lot of people don't like the look of the center caps installed on the rear Pro Stars, and I too wasn't a big fan... so I did some modifying of the center caps, and now I think I like the look much better than the "no-cap" look. My biggest pet peave about them was how far they stuck out... so I took care of that . Just a few pictures... nevermind the dirty car, or the stupid, gay, suck my ******* snow on the ground!!!

Anyways... flame on, hehe.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks a ton better man. Good job
Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
That looks a ton better man. Good job
Yeah, not too bad when they're not sticking out way far, huh? Glad someone agrees. Thanks sir
Old 02-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea looks much better then sticking out.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would have like to seen different lengths but it def looks better. now we need a how too
Old 02-21-2009, 05:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01slowbird
i would have like to seen different lengths but it def looks better. now we need a how too
I wasn't sure how much to take off really, and it's a good thing I didn't trim more or it wouldn't have stuck out enough. I like the flush look myself, and I think it turned out well... might look a tad better with a little more sticking out, but I'll live.

The how-to isn't too difficult... probably make ya laugh actually. I probably should have measured first with the center cap in and then made a mark as to how much I wanted to stick out, but I just eyeball'd it and made some marks. I then wrapped electrical tape around the cap to help guide my cut. I made the cut with an air tool (probably could have used something else, but the material really isn't that easy to cut, and you really have to be steady). So at this point I now have two pieces.

Now it's time to get my lip separated from the portion I want to discard. So I then put electrical tape at the bottom of the cap, slightly above the lip of it, and make the cut, be careful here as you don't want to make it impossible to glue the lip back to your top portion. So now obviously I have 3 parts... the top of the cap (the main part with the Weld logo), a middle portion that gets discarded, and the bottom part with the lip to keep it from coming out of the wheel after install.

Now the best part... connecting the lip and the top piece. I'm sure you could use whatever paste substances you've had success with in the past, but for me, I used some JB Weld Puddy (the type you mold together). I placed the top portion (part with the Weld logo) onto the lip and just puddy'd the walls inside the cap... filled in the cracks that I had as my cuts were definitely not perfect (these cracks won't be seen if you cut close to the lip because that portion is inside the wheel). Then I went ahead and smoothed the puddy out as best as I could. This stuff sets up pretty quick, and within a few hours it seemed pretty clear my cap wasn't going to come apart.

It did take a little effort getting the cap into the wheel (might be different for others as it was damn cold when I did it) but I just set it in as far as I could and gave the lip a few hits with a hammer until it fully seated itself... didn't break so I know the JB Weld held up fine.

I feel I got pretty lucky in not taking off too much, and overall I'm happy with how it looks... much better than the stock look when it sits so far out that it's basically flush with the lip of the wheel itself (yuck)... plus I think it looks better than not having a center cap at all, but that's just my opinion.

It may seem like a lot of work, but honestly... if you can make the cuts, this is cake! The only part that takes long is waiting for the puddy to set up and cure.

Glad some of you guys like it. Thanks for the comments.