General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

couldnt find the right forum, please assist

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default couldnt find the right forum, please assist

I have a 2000 chevy blazer with the 4.3 v6. My heat is hit or miss all of a sudden. the vehicle warms up to about 150 degrees on a normal basis. Is this the normal operating temp? What could cause the heat to be intermtent? The coolant level is fine and the thermostat isn't sticking. an help ould be greatly appreciated. I need to fix this before i go tdy and leave my family in the cold. Thx!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

150 is kinda cold IMO

most cars run at about 210 or so, mine runs around 180 when its below freezing here

but i wish i could help you further, my fathers car is having the same problem, it will only heat up to around 170, then dip back down to 140 or so.. he even gets SES lights because the engine didnt reach a normal operating temp after so many minutes
Old 02-22-2009, 10:25 AM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed it should run warmer than 150. Might be a good idea to put a thermostat in there.
Blazers are well known to have heat issues from a plugged heater core.

The fix is to try & flush it out. Carefully remove the heater hoses from the core. use a piece of heater hose & a garden hose to back flush the core. Put water thru the core each way & flush till it comes clear. Very rarely do they clog past the point of no flushing, but does happen, mostly fords.
Then reinstall all the piece & bleed the cooling system & recheck it.