Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this?

I can post a picture later if needed but on my driver side, inside the engine bay, ran along the fender is a black hose that comes from the back of the motor and ends towards the air box. at the end towards the airbox is sticking straight up and there is a K&N breather on it.It was like this when I bought the car(used) I was going to do the wire mod but wanted to make sure its ok to hide this as well, and what the purpose is. thanks!
Old 02-21-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im pretty sure you're refering to the air tube, its part of the air system
Old 02-21-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this info is from the sticky

AIR - Air Injection Recirculation - Emissions controll device. Injects fresh air into the exhaust gas before the cats. Helps them heat up to reach "emissions light off" faster.

Removal Pro's:
Weight, clean bay, no more annoying sound on startup, spare rubber hose to use on other stuff.
Removal Con's:
Only worry about VERY strict visuals (read: California) causing failure. Sniffer test can only tell before car is warmed up. After car reaches operating temp, the AIR pump shuts off and becomes useless. SES light will come on if system is removed unless codes are tuned out. Blockoff plates for exhaust manifolds required unless using "race" headers.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Teching In

so should I just run that hose like i would on the passenger side wire mod? And something I just thought about, I had trouble getting my car to pass emissions due to the evap monitors not being ready, could this have anything to do with that? mabe the filter is clogged?