LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cat delete info

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cat delete info

Hello? I have the edelbrock 66022 tubular headers https://www.vichubbard.com/auto-part...ede-66022.html along with the borla 14555 catback http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku I also have a vortech v1 supercharger kit running 6-8lbs. My question is what would be my best option for a cat delete? Do they make a kit? would I be better off just fabricating some straight pipes? I have both cats on right now and would like to loose them in the very near future. Any help would be great.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, it depends on where you live, as it might be illegal for them to be removed. With that being said, you won't find a shop who will do it, even if the state doesn't have emissions laws as it's still illegal for them to do that. Similarly you really won't find a delete kit either. You can buy an ORY (Off Road Y-Pipe) which will be the closest thing you'll come to a 'kit', but it's just a whole Y-Pipe that doesn't have cats. You'll have to buy an O2 simulator to replace the rear sensor and to make the computer think you still have cats otherwise the check engine light will come on. Rear O2 does nothing other than compare readings against the front 2 and if it's the same reading (like if you removed the cats) then it'll throw a code. It's there to let you know if your cat is toast and needs replacing.

So, cheapest would be making your own or hollowing out them (kind hard as the honey comb in them is quite strong). Easiest would be getting the ORY.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Teching In

with the ory couldnt I just plug up the o2 hole and bypass it with the lt1edit? I been looking at some ory's and got somewhat confused as to which ones I should go with. Which ones that will work with my headers? Does every one connect directley from the headers to the catback? I know a few shops who are local to me that would do this but not sure if the basic ory would just be a cheaper compared to actually getting one fabricated.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sure they will? Because unless you trailer it there and back or they are a backwoods shop, they generally won't do it. The or it has to have a catless system already installed, in which case they wouldn't be removing the cats, so they are not breaking any laws. You could plug the bungs and edit out the O2 though, yes. And as far as what ORY to use, you'd have to check Edelbrock's site I'd assume.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Teching In

well if I run into problems with the shop which I dont think I will, I could always just pick up a used mid pipe on craigslist and bring that there and tell the its just for the track. Im going to call edelbrock monday though and see what they have to say.