Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird Noise Coming From My "Speedo"

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Noise Coming From My "Speedo"

Alright there has been a very strang electric noise coming from my speedo area. It has to be electrical because I popped my engine to see if it could be my engine but it wasnt. It sounds like static coming from a radio. Never heard anything like this before and a little worried. It's not coming from my speakers and it's whenever Im in idle and the it gets louder when I turn the AC down/off. Any info would be great, thanks
Old 02-21-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now that i think of it, I had a similar problem (sorta). On nice days when i drove a lot, not necessarily hard, but for a few hours or so city driving, a very loud hissing noise like speaker sound came from the back. At first I thought the speakers were blown, even though it made it when radio was off, but it wasnt coming from them. I then thought it was muffler since if i took out key it stopped but then i found it did it if i turned off engine but left keys in it still went. Was coming from driver rear wheel somewhere. Never found out what.

Just something for you to check. See if its coming from around the front wheel.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have the stock monsoon HU and amp, there might be some signal going to the amp causing it to be turned on even if the HU is off. I found this out the hard way when installing a new HU keeping the stock monsoon amp connected. I foolishly messed with the adapter because I wasn't getting the new HU to work, only to find that I had the wires connected incorrectly. With the messed up adapter, with no HU connected to the wiring harness, when I moved the harness around, I got staticy noise coming from several of the speakers - that's when I found out that I screwed up the adapter. One way to determine if this is the cause of your problem is to pull the amp fuse from the fusebox - if its coming from the amp, this should stop it.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
Now that i think of it, I had a similar problem (sorta). On nice days when i drove a lot, not necessarily hard, but for a few hours or so city driving, a very loud hissing noise like speaker sound came from the back. At first I thought the speakers were blown, even though it made it when radio was off, but it wasnt coming from them. I then thought it was muffler since if i took out key it stopped but then i found it did it if i turned off engine but left keys in it still went. Was coming from driver rear wheel somewhere. Never found out what.

Just something for you to check. See if its coming from around the front wheel.
It almost sounds like it's near my steering-wheel column area. The closer I get to the sppedo the louder it gets.
Originally Posted by xny1989
If you have the stock monsoon HU and amp, there might be some signal going to the amp causing it to be turned on even if the HU is off. I found this out the hard way when installing a new HU keeping the stock monsoon amp connected. I foolishly messed with the adapter because I wasn't getting the new HU to work, only to find that I had the wires connected incorrectly. With the messed up adapter, with no HU connected to the wiring harness, when I moved the harness around, I got staticy noise coming from several of the speakers - that's when I found out that I screwed up the adapter. One way to determine if this is the cause of your problem is to pull the amp fuse from the fusebox - if its coming from the amp, this should stop it.
It's not coming from my speakers but i do have the stock monsoon amp with an aftermarket hu. Ill check it out. I might just bring it to a shop to look at if i dont figure this out.