General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

VATS bypass

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VATS bypass

hey, where did you guys get the resistors when you did the bypass?

im hoping to just use one resistor, and my key is a 1.47k ohm resistor

anyone know where i can find one?

also, my security light will randomly pop on while im driving, and if i shut my car off, it will start back up, but the security light stays lit.. will the VATS bypass fix that problem, or is it related to something else?

i tried using two different keys, still the same thing

im just afraid of getting stranded somewhere

thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like key pelet #6. 1470 is the nominal, 1411 is the low and 1549 is the high. Visit radio shack, if they have something close to a 1500 it'll probably work - or just use more than one. Security light will stay off.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Sounds like key pelet #6. 1470 is the nominal, 1411 is the low and 1549 is the high. Visit radio shack, if they have something close to a 1500 it'll probably work - or just use more than one. Security light will stay off.
cool, thanks

i heard somewhere that there was actually two things related to the VATS, and using the resistor bypass would only help one of the problems, but not another (if you have that one)

i just didnt understand why my light would stay on but the car would still start
Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure, but I think the light staying on and still cranking means it's in "fault enable mode" - system failed with the engine running and had a good reading from that previous ignition cycle.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Not sure, but I think the light staying on and still cranking means it's in "fault enable mode" - system failed with the engine running and had a good reading from that previous ignition cycle.
awesome

i actually just ripped apart an old power supply i had laying around and found the resistor i need, so i just need to put it in

i found the thread over at ls1.com and it says that you should turn the key to on and check the wires, if you are NOT getting the resistance of your key on the meter, then the problem is with the BCM, and installing a resistor wont work.. which is what confused me a little.

hopefully i can try this out tomorrow