LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Changing out Crank Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing out Crank Bearings

Im working on putting on my AI Heads cam intake package, but i still have to buy all the little parts that add up(TB, MAF, fuel pump, fuel Injectors, Fuel regulator, water pump, oil pan, oil pump, oil pick-up). i was wondering if you can change out the crank bearings without dropping the crank, the heads will be off, just wondering if it would save me some time. My bottom end is stock, the oil pressure goes way down during acceleration when the car is heated up.does it a little bit when i sit and rev it. Im up for any suggestions. The reason is im in the military and i dont have much leave time, i just want to put my damn package on!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

save yourself a bunch of grief and pull the shortblock out for this. yes it can be done from the bottom but you need to lift the motor up to get the pan off.
while you are there a new oil pump would not hurt.....so pull her out frshen that bottom end up,clean it all....workin on your back would suck,unless theres a hot chick involved!

just saw the oil pump in your list.

Last edited by 96lt1m6; 02-24-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If you want to do bearings right, you need to remove the engine, have the crank mic'd and correct bearings purchased (you might even need machine work on the crank). If you do it any other way, you are just hoping that things are right.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
save yourself a bunch of grief and pull the shortblock out for this. yes it can be done from the bottom but you need to lift the motor up to get the pan off.
while you are there a new oil pump would not hurt.....so pull her out frshen that bottom end up,clean it all....workin on your back would suck,unless theres a hot chick involved!

just saw the oil pump in your list.
Thanks for the advice! Im taking out my motor so i mine as well get new tranny mounts and motors mounts. Im just trying to get it done before the 22nd of may, I guess that Worlds largest F-body meet is going on then in Atlanta GA