Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

greg welds- back brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default greg welds- back brakes

if i was going to put greg welds on the back what kind of drag brake should i go with? what advantages and disadvantages of drag brakes... someone please fill me in im clueless
Old 02-24-2009, 02:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend Strange for your 12bolt or 9". I feel for the dollar, they are very competitive. The component machined pieces are very good quality compared to other similar kits.

We can supply you with the brakes as well as the braided conversion brake lines. You may need a bearing spacer kit which we mill in house as well.

Keep in mind; you'll lose your emergency brake function. It will drop about 25lbs from your rear.

Kits can be viewed at: http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_...0Drag%20Rotors
Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So just how bad would it be to put the rears on a street driven car? Nt a daily driver but a weekend warrior kinda car.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:20 PM
FormerVendor

Not really an issue for the weekend warrior.

They stop very well actually, they are a bit touchier with power brakes. They are a four piston designed caliper, they are designed to stop the typical weight of the car from speeds in excess of 140mph!...it's not their stopping ability, it's their ability to dissipate heat like your OEM components that you need to consider.

BTW, you'll loose ABS which not a disadvantage in my opinion. We have an ABS delete kit which will take care of that concern.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by midnightblue02
if i was going to put greg welds on the back what kind of drag brake should i go with? what advantages and disadvantages of drag brakes... someone please fill me in im clueless

You will need strange drag brakes a 3mm or 1/4" spacer and to round the corners off the stranger caliper just a tiny bit.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm..ive been adding it up, dunno if its worth it or not, ive got stock rearend and its my only car
Old 02-24-2009, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

will the aerospace ones not work?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by T2SLS1
will the aerospace ones not work?
Probably same issue as the style is the similar. I prefer the machining work on the Strange Engineering products better. Regarding drag brakes, the two styles that are best in my opinion would be Mark Williams and Strange (in that order).

The OEM rear-end isn't going to work though. You'll need to upgrade that as well. We can setup both for you if you' need help.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont go changing your car for those wheels brother. They are very cheaply made, and you will have trouble with studs/lugs/center caps have trouble keeping on the black paint...ect. I had them for about 3 months, and wished i would have just gotten pro-stars every day.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
Dont go changing your car for those wheels brother. They are very cheaply made, and you will have trouble with studs/lugs/center caps have trouble keeping on the black paint...ect. I had them for about 3 months, and wished i would have just gotten pro-stars every day.

He could just be done with it and consider our direct fit Bogart wheels for his front and rear wheels. The other wheels are on clearance being given away...so it's probably enticing.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

by the time you buy the brakes and everything then the wheels....you can have bogarts. I would have gotten GW rears if they would fit over ground calipers...but people in hell want Ice water too
Old 02-24-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

HAHA^^^SO TRUE. I completely went threw my rears trying to get them damn wheels to fit. Yea I agree with ya, get the bogarts. You will not be dissapointed.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah bogarts sound more realistic, or the prostars. i just sold my prostars bc the rears was wrong offset
Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
You will need strange drag brakes a 3mm or 1/4" spacer and to round the corners off the stranger caliper just a tiny bit.
3mm is not even half of 1/4". so 3mm will not be enough. and will also have to take a bit off of the tab on the brake pad itself, the part that sticks out of the top of the caliper that the pin goes through to hold it in. that has to be rounded off a bit too. i was pissed when i had to gring on my nice strange brakes.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:38 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
i agree they are cheaply made but mine are powdercoated with no issues. the powdercoat also covers alot of the blemishes. that was a bonus.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9sec93
i agree they are cheaply made but mine are powdercoated with no issues. the powdercoat also covers alot of the blemishes. that was a bonus.
No your look fine, and yes the powdercoating does cover up all the blemishs. Like the center caps fading after a few washs, and the wheels gettting a swirly fade chrome look in a month or two. I was kinda tempted to buy a set because t hey are so cheap right know as a backup set.....I HATE THE DAMN MULTI LUG DESIGN THOUGH. WORST CRAP EVER.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

I too have bought a set of Greg Welds for my Ls1 car, and I've been hearing that the Greg Welds may fit the rear (LS1 cars) if you use LT1 calipers. I believe I have everything I need to do this. I've actually got LT1 rotors, calipers, and brackets just taking up space in my garage that was for another project. I am going to try and swap LT1 calipiers on my car and see if I can get the wheels to fit. My car is going on the chassis dyno tomorrow so hopefully next week or maybe even over the weekend I can try this swap. I'll post up pics and a link to the thread I make about this sway when I get into the swap.

I've done some research on the issue and if you switch to strange brakes you will lose your parking brake. Aerospace Components does sell a rear brake kit that does include a parking brake like our original design for 600- 900 bucks depending on what type you get.

BTW, for those that do not know LT1 brakes have the parking brake built into the caliper.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 PM
FormerVendor

I can save you some time, if drag brakes need modified or spacers run to clear the GW wheels, you're not going to get LT1 brakes to clear...which have more overhang and larger overall diameter.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:18 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
I can save you some time, if drag brakes need modified or spacers run to clear the GW wheels, you're not going to get LT1 brakes to clear...which have more overhang and larger overall diameter.
there are people with them over LT1 brakes.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9sec93
there are people with them over LT1 brakes.
Thats exactly why I am going to try it, so I can see for myself. If it doesn't work, then ohh well I'll be returning the rims. and Ill post on here pics of my efforts for others to see.