General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight Motor Electrical pigtail problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Motor Electrical pigtail problem

I am having Headlight Motor problems. Driver
Side. My Head light anf parking light works fine but my headlight will not go up or down except manually. I though it was the motor so I changed it out when I got it apart I found out the connector to the headlight motor from the mail wiring harness was very badly corroded When I went to clean it the connector broke off. I checked with my General Motor dealer about getting a new pig tail and they told me the only way I can get the pigtail is to buy the wiring harness. I have tried the local junkyard but ther are none available. I am sure any 2002 firebird pigtail would work. Like I Said the head light and the parking lights works fine the connector on the 3 way plug that runs my headlight motor is the one that is broke. Does anyone know where I can find one.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem more or less only my pigtail to the acutal bulb and melted and gummed up. I searched high and low at every junkyard within 50 miles of where I lived all dealerships said the same thing, you gotta buy the $1800 wiring harness. I finally got lucky and had a friend whos friends grandmas sons daughter in laws boyfriend(or something like that) was parting out a ta a year older than mine, and it worked perfectly.

Another idea, some autoparts stores carry universal gm pigtails, I have used this to fix my blinker before and seems to still be holding up after a year anda half.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can't be that hard to use some crimps and make your own quick disconnect setup.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Your parts guy is giving you a bunch of BS. You might try a different dealer.

You may also be able to find the pigtail at your local NAPA. They'll probably have it also. The connectors are only made by one company (Delphi) so what you'd buy at any auto parts store will be identical to what you'd be paying more for at the dealer.

Depending on what actually broke on the connector, you may be able to fix it without wiring. For example, if the terminals on the wires are still good, you can purchase a new connector body and just snap the old wires/connectors in.