Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

oil catch can

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil catch can

I am trying to find a good oil catch can witout paying out the *** for one and suggestions?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, only two really work.

RevXtreme and Saikou Michi
Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive got the revxtreme, very nice piece.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

i dont car for the design of the revxtreme dont really like the long skinny look! the Saikou Michi looks ok and i like the way is is set up internaly! What about any other brands?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Unfortunately, it's 'slim pickens' when your looking for a catch can that is designed to work. Most of the others on the market are empty or employ aspects of the Saikou Michi and RevXtreme internal design.

To understand why the RevXtreme is long and thin, you have to understand that the catch can must slow PCV flow to 1 meter/second MINIMUM for carry over oil to drop out of suspension. Internally, the Saikou Michi and RevXtreme are very similar. One major difference is the RevXtreme employs a one-way check valve in the port on the side of the can.

I can post the math behind this if you would like.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

I think that i want to go with the revxtreme after looking at some of the phots it really dont look all that bad but when i go to there website it doesnt give anyway to purchase one?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

call them or send an email asking for the paypal address.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you care to wait about 2 months, they'll be a new one out soon that doesn't use the vacuum from the intake to vent the crankcase. That vacuum line gets capped off and oil entering the intake is 100% eliminated, a thing of the past.

Thats all that can be said for now.

And just for the record, I don't know what boob of an engineer designed a system where oil goes back through an "air" intake....unbelievable. Intakes are for air.

Last edited by LS6427; 03-02-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

and who is coming out with them? and whats the price going to be for one of them?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
If you care to wait about 2 months, they'll be a new one out soon that doesn't use the vacuum from the intake to vent the crankcase. That vacuum line gets capped off and oil entering the intake is 100% eliminated, a thing of the past.

Thats all that can be said for now.

And just for the record, I don't know what boob of an engineer designed a system where oil goes back through an "air" intake....unbelievable. Intakes are for air.
Without a external vacume pump there is no way to evac the combustion byproducts unburnt fuel, moisture, etc. so the intake vacume is the only constant source on a daily driver. Now an electric vac pump that would hold up for extended use would be nice, but then you need an adjustable vac relief valve with filtered air intake to make sure to much vac is not pulled on the crankcase....this pulls oil off the wrist pins & mains. On our drag only motors we run crank driven vac pumps from Aerspace Components or Moroso, with a vac relief valve in the oposite valve cover as the vac pump pulls from (go to ReherMorrision.com to see a good example) so the crankcase gets a good cross-flow of fresh air through the crankcase, and this is run through the vac pump and plumbed to a vented catch can (1 qt plain hollow can w/a baffeled vent) and since we run methanol in these 1,000 HP drag motors, 2-3 runs and it is 1/2 full of the water vapor pulled out of the crankcase....that would otherwise be condensing into the oil after every cool-down. Remember, a proper street crankcase ventelation system does far more than just "vent" excess crankcase pressure.

I'm anxious to see what design would work effectivly, last long enough for daily street use, and not cost $500 plus. Keep us informed!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Without a external vacume pump there is no way to evac the combustion byproducts unburnt fuel, moisture, etc. so the intake vacume is the only constant source on a daily driver. Now an electric vac pump that would hold up for extended use would be nice, but then you need an adjustable vac relief valve with filtered air intake to make sure to much vac is not pulled on the crankcase....this pulls oil off the wrist pins & mains. On our drag only motors we run crank driven vac pumps from Aerspace Components or Moroso, with a vac relief valve in the oposite valve cover as the vac pump pulls from (go to ReherMorrision.com to see a good example) so the crankcase gets a good cross-flow of fresh air through the crankcase, and this is run through the vac pump and plumbed to a vented catch can (1 qt plain hollow can w/a baffeled vent) and since we run methanol in these 1,000 HP drag motors, 2-3 runs and it is 1/2 full of the water vapor pulled out of the crankcase....that would otherwise be condensing into the oil after every cool-down. Remember, a proper street crankcase ventelation system does far more than just "vent" excess crankcase pressure.

I'm anxious to see what design would work effectivly, last long enough for daily street use, and not cost $500 plus. Keep us informed!
Agree 110% ^^^^^^^^^^

I am looking at vacuum pump systems now and they are expensive.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

After reading 405hp Z06's thread, I ordered a Saikou Michi dual catch can setup. Nicely priced, especially for what you get and if you read the thread, you can understand how and why it works.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TLewis4095

Gonna be tested soon, hopefully in a couple weeks. Electric pump and a CC.

It will run all the time at a lower vacuum suction setting then when our cars are at idle (where there's the most suction)....but when the car comes to a stop it will run at a higher setting just like our cars do now, then at engine shut-down it will continue running on high for 1 minute evactuating all the harmful gases.

We'll see what happens. But this oil in the intake thing has got to stop.

And abouit it venting to the atmosphere, aftermarket people really don't care. .001% of cars using this type of system can't effect our atmoshpere at all. The vent line from the CC can also be vented to the exhaust by a metal line and a bung hole so it gets further burned before exiting the tail pipes. We'll be making one of those too. Both will work.

I'm still waiting on a few different pumps to arrive from China.

People who already have a CC can just buy the pump and wiring or buy an entire unit.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Gonna be tested soon, hopefully in a couple weeks. Electric pump and a CC.

It will run all the time at a lower vacuum suction setting then when our cars are at idle (where there's the most suction)....but when the car comes to a stop it will run at a higher setting just like our cars do now, then at engine shut-down it will continue running on high for 1 minute evactuating all the harmful gases.

We'll see what happens. But this oil in the intake thing has got to stop.

And abouit it venting to the atmosphere, aftermarket people really don't care. .001% of cars using this type of system can't effect our atmoshpere at all. The vent line from the CC can also be vented to the exhaust by a metal line and a bung hole so it gets further burned before exiting the tail pipes. We'll be making one of those too. Both will work.

I'm still waiting on a few different pumps to arrive from China.

People who already have a CC can just buy the pump and wiring or buy an entire unit.
This would work! We have been using electric vac motors for years to do just that, but they haven't lasted long enough for street use, only track use. Your on the right track....just remember all of the proper design issues discussed in this thread when doing this and you may have a winner. Again. there is ZERO oil pulled into the intake with the correct oil seperating can and no deeper piston/rung/bore/blow-by issues.

Quick Reply: oil catch can