General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Intermitant missfire no codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Intermitant missfire no codes

So driving down 795 the other day in 5th about 2500rpm car starts sputtering and missfireing. Seems like it would do it when the car was almost drifting or just barely under load. Give it more gas and it goes away. So if I stay on the gas in any gear it is fine. But we all know what happens when you stay on the gas. Problem went away by the time I got home. It did it one other time about 5 months ago. Car is not a daily driver it had a cam swap in 2006 at that time I put new plugs in it but did not change the wries. I probably put 2500 miles on it since then and added a wet 50hp shot and have gone through 2 bottles of juce. The car is not throwing any codes. What should I look at. Are cam and crank sensors common problems? I am going to start with new plugs and wires. What would a good plug to run be. Car does not see the spray verry often. Would the NGK TR 55 or TR 6 bee good?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had something similar to that, It took me about a month or so to find out what was wrong, because there was no codes. I thought it was my MAF sensor at first so I tried one of my buddy's and still missfired, I had also checked my plugs and wires, It turns out I had a short on the wiring harness that goes to the mass air sensor,and because I was driving while trying to figure out the problem I also drowned 2 spark plugs, the only way to find it was to take to a speed shop so they can troubleshoot until they found the problem, 50 shot shouldn't hurt it at all. I have a 150 shot for 2 years and its been ok.
I would try to use the least possible, small things like this just start a domino effect....trust me a 50 dollar fix can end up costing a couple hundred FAST!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

How did you find the short? Actually I think my shot is a 75. I also had a problem a while back the header melted the wire that went ot the crank or cam sensor? The one by the starter. I ran a new wire and used some heat sheild. So that was one thought I had that might be a prob but they look fine. I am going to order plugs and wires from a sponser on here for $68.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
How did you find the short? Actually I think my shot is a 75. I also had a problem a while back the header melted the wire that went ot the crank or cam sensor? The one by the starter. I ran a new wire and used some heat sheild. So that was one thought I had that might be a prob but they look fine. I am going to order plugs and wires from a sponser on here for $68.
Make sure none of your wires are touching your headers/exhaust mani. That could be your problem.

Also, if you got scanned with the little orange scanners at the autp parts stores, they will not always show a code. They also can;t tell you how certainsensors are performing.

$36.00 Advance Auto Parts plug wires are all you need man, they're good to 700+ hp. There's no wire out there that will give you better performance than those, not at your power level.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Any body else ever have this problem. I am still waiting on my new plugs and wires. I hope this is the fix.