Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Remote mount question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Remote mount question

What psi is too much for the oil return line before I have to worry about it flooding out the turbo?

I have no inline pres. warning system and I was going to buy a universal hobbs switch, wire it to a warning light but I'm not sure what psi to get.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:18 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say any . I run a -10 on a 45degree from front to back. But with the remote mount i am not sure . Is it like a sts system and do you have a return tank and a pump.The warning lite is a good idea. Tell me some more of your system. I will be glade to give you my thoughts.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

I have a -8 return line and have close to 80 psi wot. I do have a restrictor on the feed I dont rember the size but it will vary depending on your build and turbo.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

It is a used sts and I have a -10 line returned to the oil pan with a Weldon pump, I'm using a relay so the pump always gets full power (I have no sts harness). I do have a restrictor on the feed into the turbo. The sts kit normally comes with a warning system (pressure switch) that activates when too much oil builds up in the return line. I would guess it mounts in between the turbo and return pump.

I was thinking about making my own warning system, but I'm not sure how sensitive of a pressure switch I need.

I'm going to use a dash mounted LED wired up with the pump so I'll know if the return pump quits.

Should I not use a warning system for oil pressure build up on the return?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

That is what I have a dash mounted led wired to the relay and pump. When the power surce is gone light goes off. When the pump fails light goes off
Old 03-06-2009, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 75tonyA
It is a used sts and I have a -10 line returned to the oil pan with a Weldon pump, I'm using a relay so the pump always gets full power (I have no sts harness). I do have a restrictor on the feed into the turbo. The sts kit normally comes with a warning system (pressure switch) that activates when too much oil builds up in the return line. I would guess it mounts in between the turbo and return pump.

I was thinking about making my own warning system, but I'm not sure how sensitive of a pressure switch I need.

I'm going to use a dash mounted LED wired up with the pump so I'll know if the return pump quits.

Should I not use a warning system for oil pressure build up on the return?
The setup you described should be fine for a LXs application. Between the higher power return pump + restrictor you'd have to be pushing a LOT of oil to overpower it.

As for a warning system....yes, I'd personally add one. I had my STS wire harness melt on me during the 2008 Hot Rod Power Tour. Tore it out of the car (on the side of the road ) and installed a light exactly as described below. Used that w/ no issues for another 4 months/5K miles.

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
That is what I have a dash mounted led wired to the relay and pump. When the power surce is gone light goes off. When the pump fails light goes off
Old 03-06-2009, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Alright thanks for the info I'll just do the warning light to keep an eye on the pump. No inline pressure switch.

Quick Reply: Remote mount question