Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost tranny fluid!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lost tranny fluid!!!

Well I was driving yesterday, and the trans started to freewheel in gear, so I immediately downshifted to a lower gear, and that didn't work either. Pulled off the side of the road, couldn't see anything unusual due to the 6 inches of snow we got yesterday, so I check the trans fluid out of instinct. Damn near dry. My first thought is I toasted the tranny...after less than 300 miles!!! Called USAA for a tow and brought it back on base. My question is how bad could the tranny be hurt at this point? I might have went maybe a mile after it started acting up. And will I need to pull the TC to fill it with fluid if it was coming from one of my lines?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I just got back from glancing under the car, and I don't see any marks from fluid or anything in the snow. Is there anything else that could have caused this?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If you are low on fluid you have a leak some where. I would first fill it to top of full mark running then get it in the air and look around.
And no on the converter, The pump will fill it up instantly once theres fluid in there.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank performabuilt. I guess worst case scenario is that I'll be looking at one of your trannys for a replacement if it is completely jacked. Ill post results when when I pick up some trans fluid later