General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

eating starter fuses

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default eating starter fuses

Im having a problem starting the bird. Ligths comes on, turn the key, and nothing. Check the fuse box and have a blown starter fuse, replace and that sometimes works. other times it doesnt so try swamping in a 30amp fuse and that worked for a little while and sometimes not at all. ive dropped the starter and looked at all the wiring but keep on having the same problem. any ideas? also, car was recently converted from a4 to m6.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

anybody??
Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you've got a short. Not a constant short just an occasional one.

I would check connections and switches. IIRC on M6 there is a set of contacts that don't allow the car to crank unless the clutch pedal is pressed. Since you did a conversion I'd say check all those connections as that would be a prime suspect area for something to be wrong.

Oh, and it isn't the best idea to just swap in higher amp fuses for stuff, can burn out wires that way
Old 03-04-2009, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

thanks ill check that stuff out. i switched starters today and that didnt work (started 3 times no problem and then popped a fuse, dam!)

does anyone have a wiring schematic of the starter?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check autozone repair guides, you can usually get all the wiring schematics that you need from there.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your dip stick isn't touching the starter, is it? When i did my boys spark plugs i had to remove the dip stick b/c the tool that installed his headers bent the damn thing all cockeyed and i couldn't get to the plugs. When i put the dip stick back into the oil pad i had it resting on the starter. When he went to start the car, the fuse would pop. It tooks up 20 mins to find out what happened. I ripped the dip stick out of the car and the car started right up. He ended up getting s steel braided one and had it re-ran correctly.

You said you pulled the starter, make sure nothing metal is touching it.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Teching In

You may have high resistance somewhere in the starter circuit causing it to draw more current and blow the fuse. This could be caused by a loose or corroded wire connection. You need to look at the wiring diagram and follow this circuit and check it out with an ohm meter looking for resistance higher than normal.

Quick Reply: eating starter fuses