General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wheel stud

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel stud

Sorry guys the search isn't bringing up anything of relevance. Is there any special way to remove the wheel studs from our cars? I have been beating on one for a few days and the thing will not budge

Also (I know this is the wrong section, but I'm sure someone can help) I am repainting my calipers, do I need to remove all the paint from before or just scuff them up?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

I just used a big hammer and they popped out.You could try a big C-clamp and socket and see if you can press them out.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

I tried a C clamp the other night, cranked on it as much as I could with no success. I've been hitting it with a mallet. Its pretty decent size and called "power drive", but is made out of hard rubber. So I think I'm gonna have to go buy a metal one.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Juje
I tried a C clamp the other night, cranked on it as much as I could with no success. I've been hitting it with a mallet. Its pretty decent size and called "power drive", but is made out of hard rubber. So I think I'm gonna have to go buy a metal one.
yeah a hard rubber one is just going to bounce off instead of hit it through
Old 03-05-2009, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

heat it up a little with a torch and than hit it. It should pop right out. just heat it though not too close or you will melt it
Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the guy doesn't have a real hammer, he probably doesn't have a torch. If he did, he would want to heat the area around it and not the lug itself. To heat the lug would be to expand it, making it even harder to remove.

Get a 3lb hammer and whack it decisively. Be sure you have spares already standing by to replace it with (which you probably do).

Place a stack of washers around the new one and then place your lug nut on it. Tighten the nut to pull in the lug.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ yeah it just takes some pounding with a real hammer, they pop right out if you hit them square.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Just changed a stripped one today on my car. Three practice taps to make sure the aim was good and then I slammed it right out. Getting it on takes more strength than getting it out.