Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

In Dash DVD and Navi Units

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Dash DVD and Navi Units

I have a 99 Bird and im looking to install a 1.5 or a double din unit in my car. Do they make any that can hold MP3s? I dont have a use for a Ipod other then my car. so Id like to find a HU that I can upload some MP3s too then play them. and do away with CDs and scratches and bullcrap.

Anyone have any insight..
Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah most upper end radios either have a memory card holder or usb slot for mp3s. do not make the mistake of buying a single din, if you get urges to choose a certain song, because thats very hard to do and distracting. go with a 6.5 or 7" then.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

tons of them come with hardrives. 1.5 din should fit no problem our factory stereo is a 1.4 din double dins just barely cant squeeze in. Go on ebay at go to the car stereo and type in hardrive mp3 playback and you should find tons for pretty good deals
Old 03-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Launching!

There are no din and half screens, only a stereo made by pioneer i believe but don't waster you money on that because it does the same as the stock one. I have a single din jvc unit and im very happy with it i only have one dvd in it that has like 4 thousand songs so i never have to change a cd, and also has a usb input and has support for blue tooth as well as blue tooth audio. heres a pic
Old 03-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by evilZO6
tons of them come with hardrives. 1.5 din should fit no problem our factory stereo is a 1.4 din double dins just barely cant squeeze in. Go on ebay at go to the car stereo and type in hardrive mp3 playback and you should find tons for pretty good deals
F-bodies have 1.5 DIN head units as factory equipment - there is no such thing as 1.4 DIN. And a double DIN will fit quite nicely thank you very much. They only require modifying the trim bezel for the HU face opening:

I connected an extension USB cable to my console box and plug in an 8GB flash stick filled with MP3s. It's easy to unplug the flash memory and update it on my computer.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
F-bodies have 1.5 DIN head units as factory equipment - there is no such thing as 1.4 DIN. And a double DIN will fit quite nicely thank you very much. They only require modifying the trim bezel for the HU face opening:

I connected an extension USB cable to my console box and plug in an 8GB flash stick filled with MP3s. It's easy to unplug the flash memory and update it on my computer.

TYPO! lol i meant 1.5 the numbers are too close together. I should have them moved
Old 03-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a ton of units available with USB and aux. inputs on the face. Either in a single DIN that requires less installation mods or in 2DIN with some mod to the bezel and mounting area inside the dash. Even less expensive units now have aux. input and USB inputs now. I have a bunch of units from JVC, Kenwood, and Clarion that have all of those inputs and are still reasonable in price. I will be updating my site soon with all the new models as they become available. I can also include install equipment like mount adapter, harness adapter and antenna adapter for easy installation.