Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A Piller gauge Q

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A Piller gauge Q

When wiring the gauges in can you set it up so they only come on with the dash/ speedometer lights? Ive seen cars where the gauges will dim with the interior lights. Anyone know how to do this?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:08 PM
11Second Club

If you're using AutoMeter gauges, they require a switched power source (to run the gauge), a ground, the sensor wires, and a dash light power source (for the backlight). So, if you connect them the way the instructions indicate, they should operate the way you're describing. The easiest dash light source is right off the dimmer switch itself. I believe it's the green wire coming from that. Just splice the gauges into that, and the backlights will come on with your dash lights.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Led lit guages cannot be dimmed. Pretty sure you need regular light bulbs in order to dim.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:26 PM
11Second Club

I'm pretty sure that's correct. I tried mine (which are LED-lit), and they dim ever-so-slightly, but it's hardly noticable. The dash is barely lit, and the A-pillar gauges are at 85% light it seems.

I'm pretty sure that you need a pulse generator to get LEDs to truly dim. I'm pretty sure that's what's used for LED brake lights / running lights.

Quick Reply: A Piller gauge Q